Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

We're also moving our BES's to VMware. Test BES is already moved and works like ... Server Admins forum

Re: Virtualize BES

Advertisement

We're also moving our BES's to VMware. Test BES is already moved and works like a charm...

also interested

berry-buster no está en línea BES Pro

Im Interisted

tlowe no está en línea BES Pro

I agree you want to use quaitly when you are setting up your ESX stuff. We used all IBM and Intel Nics. We have a total of 6 nics per box and 24 gigs of ram in each.

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Some Tools and Site for ESX

esXpress http://esxpress.com

esxPatcher http://www.mightycare.de/index.php?o...d=16&Itemid=69

Other Sites
    http://vmguru.com
    http://vm4all.com

Here are a few off the top of my head.

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

IBM's are good they still use the Broadcom NIC's on the MB. That is the biggest problem with most of the onboard NIC's. Director works with it too.

needcaffeine no está en línea Stack level 1

how about sql? are you running the msde on the guest? a vmware sql server? or standalone sql?

currently we use a standalone sql server(as we have biztalk, kaspersky, diskeeper, EDI, and other misc softwares on it - oracle is our primary db)

so w/ a 4 port NIC card, you're using 2 for vmotion(does 1 also do the service console)
    With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. - RFC 1925

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Quote Originally Posted by needcaffeine View Post
    how about sql? are you running the msde on the guest? a vmware sql server? or standalone sql?

currently we use a standalone sql server(as we have biztalk, kaspersky, diskeeper, EDI, and other misc softwares on it - oracle is our primary db)

so w/ a 4 port NIC card, you're using 2 for vmotion(does 1 also do the service console)
    I had a longer explanation for it but, I hot the back button and lost it all. I'll cut to the chase with this one.

We has SQL running on 1 of the guests. You can heve either as it does not matter the only thing that makes the difference os the resources assigned ot the system.

You can leave as a standalone system or P2V (Physical to Virtual Convertion) of the system to make it Virtual also.

Fo rthe NIC's I would use a minumum of 3 for 1 Virtual Switch - VM Network - All VM's and Service console use this. Use 1 for VMotion. I would Use all Intel for the majority opf the VM Network and Split the onboard Broadcom NIC's between VM Network and VMotion. If you can I would use 2 Dual Port Intel for VM Network and the Boradcom for VMotion only. The Broadcom share IRQ so I would use them for VM Network if necessary.

If anyone needs help with it pm me.

needcaffeine no está en línea Stack level 1

thanks
    With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. - RFC 1925

We kind of do the same thing we have a standalone SQL server but then we have it cloned into VM so if the physical box dies we cna bring it in the virtual.

We have a six nic config and we have 1 for Managment 1 for Vmotion two for our server network and 2 for our Desktop network. We have started to use ESX for our desktops now also.

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

I Love te P2V tool, we were in a rush to get 30+ systems oconverted and online so over a weekend I did that and then we bought the system online as soon as they were on the SAN and ready. That is what we did with our BES server the users never knew it happened. We shut 1 down and brought the other 1 up at the same time and. Any system can be virtualized, we are lookging at taking our 3 Exchange servers that server 35K+ users and what we need to them to be virtual.
    As you can tell, I love ESX.

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MWPatterson View Post
    I Love te P2V tool, we were in a rush to get 30+ systems oconverted and online so over a weekend I did that and then we bought the system online as soon as they were on the SAN and ready. That is what we did with our BES server the users never knew it happened. We shut 1 down and brought the other 1 up at the same time and. Any system can be virtualized, we are lookging at taking our 3 Exchange servers that server 35K+ users and what we need to them to be virtual.
    As you can tell, I love ESX.
    See we have ESX and have converted most of our systems over. We have all but Exchange(dang old 5.5 holding us back), BES and a few less critical servers on their own. ESX has swept me off my feet haha.
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Quote Originally Posted by jrockett View Post
    See we have ESX and have converted most of our systems over. We have all but Exchange(dang old 5.5 holding us back), BES and a few less critical servers on their own. ESX has swept me off my feet haha.
    Have you dug into the manuals on it yet? There are alot of cool tricks to do on it. Tweaking them is the fun part. I sat down over 1 weekend and read them . It was not that bad but, I did get alot out of it and I am now working on converting my current employer completely into ESX as production and DR.

jrockett what are you using for backups?

By the way is BES supported in VM?

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Quote Originally Posted by tlowe View Post
    By the way is BES supported in VM?
    Yes in 4.1 or greater.