Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I am working on a Doc about it and some tricks to optimize it. For ... Server Admins forum

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Virtualize BES

Advertisement

I am working on a Doc about it and some tricks to optimize it. For those interested in it or going this route, I am working on it as my new job has me working on alot more than just BES. Just wanted to see who would be interested in it other than 1 person who asked me to write up something on it (JROCKETT). Back to the grind, will get screenies and put it out for you to use and look at. Should have it available in the next few weeks. If yall need more info till then let me know will answer any questions on it.

tlowe no está en línea BES Pro

Re: Virtualize BES

Hello,
    As of right now I have my BES server 4.1 running in virtual with ESX3.01 from VMware. Please let me know if you need any help.

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Thanks, it is easy for DR in ESX, what backup tools are you using? I would highly recommend esXpress. Have demo on esXpress, esxRanger, and Consolidated Backup. I think that esXpress is cleaner and the options are excellent.

I use a script that runs backups of our servers. It was free and it works great. We do have a license to VCB but have not installed.

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

esXpress has a free vversion that I used at my old company. It work good. The nice part is that it uses the resources of the ESX host and not any other system. http://esxpress.com Take a look.

That really looks nice. That is kinda of what I use now it runs on the esx server and it backsup to a network share. I will send you a link to the doc's as it works really nice and only backsup the space in use and not the full virutal machine.

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Where I was at before we had an ESX Farm of 7 Systems and they all were connected to 1 SAN. It was nice. That is what I am working toward now where I am currently at. With 30+ systems it was nice but, I like being able to restore the system to the day it was backedup and not having to go through alot to get it back up and running.

Yeah belive me I understand I have a total of 6 ESX servers runing 50+ servers so anything easy always makes my life easy.

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro

mmm I love me some vmware
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

It is great, I love it and I get to go to conferences for it all over cause we are implementing it in our DR site and production. I ran production SAP on ESX in my last job. It was fun to setup and tweak but, I got it to work. If you need anything on tweaking it, let me know. We had 1 production SAP App Server getting better response and holding more clients than all of our physical servers. I can also recommend a Good and lower cost SAN to hold your data. We got 1 that had 32TB of raw storage for less than $200K.I do Love ESX and I preach it to everyone I meet.

I was wondering what do you use for pathing I have been using ESXPatch but it has some problems.

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

I use esxpatcher till 3.5 come out later this year and it will have an updater in it. I will post a link in the morning when I get to work. Have it bookmarked. They just released v0.8 and it fixes the problems with the newer patches. The only thing you have to do is download the patches, extract them completely into folders for it. Other than that I love it, makes my life easier. I also have a script that I set to run multiple times during the day to download the patches from vmware. Will post that too. Should make it easier for you to manage the patches and download them.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thank you for all of your help. I just setup esx this year about 4 months ago so I am still getting used to it.

needcaffeine no está en línea Stack level 1

question...my only concern about putting the BES in a guest was network latency/throughput.
    how many other guests are you running on your host? and/or how many network connections do you have on the host?

is your mail server stand-alone or virtual as well?
    With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. - RFC 1925

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

ESX is not like the standard Guest. I would not run it on on VMWare server. ESX is it's own platform and OS. It allows for server consolidation at larger scale and allows for fail over. The management of it is great. It has a feature that allows for fail over and if the system is going down it will move the running systems off to another system before the host shuts down. We had this happen 2 times where I was @ before, both time was due to memory going bad in the systems we just received the prior month. We did not know what happened till it had moved the systems off and shut the host down.

Network throughput should not be a problem on a system that is setup correctly. I would recommend a minimum of 4 network connections per system. The only problem with alot that you get from Dell, IBM,.... is that they use Broadcom NIC's and they share an IRQ which can slow things down alittle and should not be split up on different networks on the ESX Host. We also had it share the IRQ of an HBA that we had put in 1 of the PCI slots too. For ESX Host you need to put Intel NIC's in. Even the Dual or Quad port cards do not share IRQ's. If you got the space, I would use 2 QLogic HBA's, Emulex is not recommeded by VMWare, and 2 Dual Port Intel Nics. This allows for speed and growth. Use the 2 Onboard Nics for VMotion.
    Last edited by MWPatterson; 11-07-2007 at 09:08 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast