Hello, I'm new to Blackberries. We use a BES server with the attachment service running. ... Server Admins forum

dareames no está en línea Stack level 1

Viewing .txt files with other extensions

I'm new to Blackberries. We use a BES server with the attachment service running. I'm getting attachments, but I'd like to get a text file that doesn't have a .txt extension. I get emails that contain a .log file every night from my backup jobs. It's just a simple text file, but because of the .log extension, I can't get the attachment on my BB. I added the extension to the attachment service by editing the registry, but it still doesn't send the attachment (no paperclip on the icon). I'm guessing it's because the BB itself doesn't recognize the extension. Is there a way to add a file type to the BB like you would in windows? BTW, I've looked and there is no way to change the extension of the log file to .txt. Thanks for any help you can provide.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro

jhoetzl no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Viewing .txt files with other extensions

You can try this, but I haven't tested it.

In the BlackBerry Server Configuration, on the Attachment Server tab, there is a drop down on the top for "Configuration Option:" - If you set that to "Connector Configuration",
    and then look for a field called "Format Extensions:", you will see a list of file extensions (without the ".") in front of them, seperated by colons (":").

Perhaps it is as simple as adding ":log" to the end of that list and restarting the attachement services? Ahhh, not so...

If you examing that drop down a little closer, there is an entry in that "Configuration Option:" area that says "Attachment server".

If you look down a bit from there, you will see a "distiller" section.

So, for the "text" distiller, the only valid extension is "txt", but, you will notice that the graphics all go through one distiller, and have multiple extensions in there.

Alas, there is no way I see of editing those...

So, a quick search in the registry for "Meta" will show you where all that lives.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\BBAttachEngine\Distillers\LoadTextDistiller]
    "DisplayName"="ASCII Text"

Change to:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\BBAttachEngine\Distillers\LoadTextDistiller]
    "DisplayName"="ASCII Text"

Restart server, and you may be in luck.

Again, I have not done this myself, nor do I know of anyone who has, nor do I work for RIM or Plazmic or anyone related to them.

Hope this helps,
    BES Admin, BB User, Factotum
    Curve 8320 OS: (338) on T-mobile
    BES v4.1.5 w/Lotus 7.0.2