Results 1 to 4 of 4

Morning/Evening all I have my own setup at home (Exch 2003 - BES 4.1) allowing ... Server Admins forum

  1. #1
    chbb's Avatar
    chbb no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5

    Question Viewing older emails in cabinets

    Advertisement



    Morning/Evening all

    I have my own setup at home (Exch 2003 - BES 4.1) allowing the family to have blackberries and all is well apart from a question that they are asking me.

    Why can’t I see my emails in my cabinet folders?
    Well what they actually want is to see older emails so they can reference them while out and about i.e. emails older than 1 month old.
    Is there something I am missing as I have trawled the forums for an answer but to no avail?

    Also I am wondering how the BES service works as regards when you see an email in your inbox is it -

    1. A real email downloaded to the BB or
    2. a link or view of the email that is actually on the exchange server as if it is just a link or view to that actual email then there would be no limit to the amount of emails that you have at your disposal

    Thanks for anyone’s time on this as it is driving me nuts

    Christopher

  2. #2
    MWPatterson's Avatar
    MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    Posts
    1,031

    Re: Viewing older emails in cabinets

    By default you will only keep 30 days worth of email on the device. That can be changed. Open email. Go to Options, General Options. Then click on Keep Messages. You can change to a different date and even forever, the only problem is that you will run out of memory if you d o not clean your device off. When you make this change it will retain them and not get the old ones from BES. BES does not pull older emails from the device as it already knows what has been sent to the device and will not resend it again.

    Kind of a nice idea to do a home BES, the only that is I hate is the cost of BES. I have the Exchange Licenses and W2K3 Server licenses. I like my BIS connection and don't want to rely on the Internet connection to my house or power as I use it for work too.

  3. #3
    takeshi's Avatar
    takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,305

    Re: Viewing older emails in cabinets

    Quote Originally Posted by chbb
    Why can’t I see my emails in my cabinet folders?
    Do you mean PST files? BES can't "see" anything that isn't in the Exchange mailbox. PST files are local to the machine that is running Outlook.

    Quote Originally Posted by chbb
    Well what they actually want is to see older emails so they can reference them while out and about i.e. emails older than 1 month old.
    BES won't push out old email. If they want old email they'll have to forward it to themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by chbb
    Also I am wondering how the BES service works as regards when you see an email in your inbox is it -

    1. A real email downloaded to the BB or
    2. a link or view of the email that is actually on the exchange server as if it is just a link or view to that actual email then there would be no limit to the amount of emails that you have at your disposal
    That's hard to say but I suspect it's 2 since you have the option to keep the BB reconciled with Exchange or not. I use the latter as I want to keep some email in my Exchange account but not necessarily on the BB and vice-versa.

    Quote Originally Posted by MWPatterson
    Kind of a nice idea to do a home BES, the only that is I hate is the cost of BES. I have the Exchange Licenses and W2K3 Server licenses. I like my BIS connection and don't want to rely on the Internet connection to my house or power as I use it for work too.
    The cost and upkeep really aren't worth it to me. Hosted BES works really well.

  4. #4
    chbb's Avatar
    chbb no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5

    Re: Viewing older emails in cabinets

    Thanks for all the info everyone

    I already had the server and exchange licences and I have got the BE Express and as it already has one license I asked a RIM sales bloke who happened to be in the T-Mobile shop at the time I was buying the BB's about how to get the extra licences and he said to email him when I had them setup which I did.

    To my surprise he emailed back with the licences and voile all up and running with no cost!!!! Not sure why he did that maybe because he was fascinated that I was hosting all this at my Home and for the family as well.

    Add to that I like the idea that I host all personal stuff at home and it doesn’t have to go to a third party, plus the family has an administrator at hand 24hrs a day!!!! (Sometimes a strain but worth it in the end I suppose.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •