I had a user report that they didn't get emails delivered to their devices for ... Server Admins forum

wellsm no está en línea Stack level 2

User out of coverage? How to detect?

I had a user report that they didn't get emails delivered to their devices for a few hours last weekend. They "asked around" and some of the other users remember the same thing. Our server has been running great, my device didn't have any problems, and we only had SRP drop for about a minute over the weekend.

So, I'm thinking that either they imagined it, or that the carrier had an issue with a tower. That fine - I'll just look at the logs, right?

Well, I fire up the outofcoverage.exe tool from the resource kit and point it to a copy of the log files. As a test I use my own device first.

Well, the results were quite odd. I told it to give me outages over 60 minutes and got between 5 and 10 Out of coverage events each day.

Now, I am in a good coverage area. I only turn my device off when I sleep. Why am I geting these wierd ranges? And why is this showing my device IN coverage when it was off?

I'm obviously mis-interpreting the data, or running the tool wrong, or have some device-side setting which is throwing off my numbers.

Anyone have any ideas? How would you go about determining what happened when a user reported an issue like this? If it was happening in real-time I'd look at the pending messages, of course...

Thanks in advance!

skwith no está en línea Stack level 1

I have a similar problem:
    5 handsets running 24 x 7 sending & recieving 2 messages / hour. Periodically there is very long delivery delays to the handsets (up to 1000 seconds)

Examining the MAGNT log shows the delays occur when the device is Out Of Coverage. Thing is the handsets are in the CDB with good radio coverge (The building even has its own cell)

Two other points - it happens any time of day and often occurs at 4 hour intervals.

Any thoughts?