Hi all, I'm the BES admin for our company. Now, Mr. Big, himself, wants to ... Server Admins forum

Gman1108 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Just ask

Upgrading Devices

Advertisement

Hi all,

I'm the BES admin for our company.

Now, Mr. Big, himself, wants to upgrade his 8300 BB to an 8310 BB.

My question is, what's the best way of doing this?

On previous upgrades, I just do a fresh activation on the user and this goes through just fine. Any third party apps are lost and the user just goes n installs them again.

But, what about PIN messages, saved messages and apps that Mr. Big has installed, how do I get apps back on a new device?

I've seen a 'device switch wizard' on Desktop manager. Is that something I can trust to do the job? If so, do I still need to do an activation for the new device?

Needless to say, I'll be backing up his BB before I do anything.

Any idea on the best way to do this?

Thanks.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Use the device switch wizard - it's dependable. We use it all the time to switch devices. Your plan to back up is good. You should be ok.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    Agreed, do a Device Switch Wizard and then Enterprise Activation.

PIN/ID
    Just ask
    So ,by using the switch device method, does that move any third party apps to the new device?

And, as you mentioned, Kieren, I'll need to do an Enterprise Activation on the new device also.

Just wondering about those apps.

Thanks.

I think the 3d-party aps have to be re-installed via DM, etc. - it's been a while so I don't remember all the details but if you back up you'll have everything if anything goes wrong. Good luck.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    I would "assume" the same as jblackfish as that you will probably have to reinstall third party applications. I'm also not 100% positive as its been awhile since I've done this. The only time I'm 100% aware that third party apps are reinstalled is via an upgrade.

PIN/ID
    Just ask
    Hey all,

I've just done the upgrade using the device switch wizard, and it actually moved over the two third party apps too....great!

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman1108 View Post
    Hey all,

I've just done the upgrade using the device switch wizard, and it actually moved over the two third party apps too....great!

Thanks.
    That's great - I think that's new. Which version of DM are you using...and if it's 4.5, is it with or without Media Manager? (I'm still on 4.5 because I had a problem or two the last time I tried 4.5)