Hi All BES 4.0 (SP3HF3) for Exchange 2003 I am attempting to move BES to ... Server Admins forum

lurch no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    300B3538

Thumbs down Two BES servers with the same users

Advertisement

Hi All

BES 4.0 (SP3HF3) for Exchange 2003

I am attempting to move BES to another server. In the process, I followed the standby server setup notes found in BES's maintenance documentation.

I built up the new BES location to match the same service pack and hotfix level.

The only deviation I made was naming the new locations BES server something different from the original BES server . Anyway things did not work.

The problem I have now is that although the original BES installation still works fine, the individual user status now indicates "(Original Server**New Server) Running".

Both servers use the same SRP identifier so I cannot both live at the same time. I tried removing a user from the "renamed" BES server (services are shut off but the Exchange account still works). When I removed the user, I was asked whether or not to remove the BES server from the user's account. I said no to one user and yes to another. The users were removed from the "renamed" BES server. However in the original BES server, the user's status has been changed to "Initializing" and they are no longer communicating. I can send the service book and policys though.

There status now shows only the original server but the status is stuck on "Initializing"

In order to properly follow the standby server instructions, I need to first remove the "renamed" BES server but I cannot remove it until I remove the users first. Unfortunately that would also affect the users. Is there anyway to do this without reactivating everybody?

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: Two BES servers with the same users

Hello lurch, thanks for joining pinstack. Lets get to the bottom of this... calling all BES experts.

garycutri no está en línea Stack level 3

When you move a user from one BES server to another the user needs to be completely removed from the old BES server first (That includes selected "Yes" to deleting the BlackBerry info from their account). Once you then move the user to the new BES server you will have to re-activate that user via a wireless “Enterprise Activation” or a cabled activation.
    Blackberry Support Forums - Asia Pacific
    www.blackberryforums.com.au

lurch no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    300B3538

Hi all

That is essentially what I ended up doing, I removed everybody from BES/Exchange and reactivated them as new users on the new BES server. This also had the benefit of allowing me to rename the server too.

Thanks for your responses!

nickeeboo no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    ask

Similar problem, but old BES died, so can't use solution

Hi,

I have a similar problem to the one stated in this post, but I can't perform the actions stated in the solution, as the reason for getting a new BES was that the old one died. :cry:

For everyone, user status is: (NewServer**OldServer) Running

Also, when I try to resend the IT policy, it fails:

Resend Service Book command was executed for this user

What I would like to happen is that all users are associated with the NewServer only.

Thanks in advance.

wizkid1981 no está en línea BES Guru

What you should do in this case is......

1) Security wipe the user's handhelds (RIM article KB-02318) (Doing this will get rid of any Policy settings that is still present on the device which would've ben pushed down from the previous server)

2) Remove/readd your users to the BES

3) Perform an enterprise activation for your users (RIM articles KB-03674 & KB05202)

If you were not doing security wipes before when trying to push policies to your users then that is most likely the reason it was failing.

nickeeboo no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    ask

Thanks, I tried this and it worked. Unfortunately I forgot that the backup wouldn't save my ringtones, but oh well, c'est la vie!

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wizkid1981
    What you should do in this case is......

1) Security wipe the user's handhelds (RIM article KB-02318) (Doing this will get rid of any Policy settings that is still present on the device which would've ben pushed down from the previous server)

2) Remove/readd your users to the BES

3) Perform an enterprise activation for your users (RIM articles KB-03674 & KB05202)

If you were not doing security wipes before when trying to push policies to your users then that is most likely the reason it was failing.