How can I manage my Blackberry environment without having to use Remote Desktop? I don't ... Server Admins forum

RJeffDay no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Tired of Remote Desktop...

Advertisement

How can I manage my Blackberry environment without having to use Remote Desktop? I don't know if having a Lotus Notes mail system matters or not, but I cannot seem to find a 'snap-in' or any other application that allows me to manage the BES from my desktop. Am I just missing something? Can I just install a client version of BES and point it to my BES machine to manage it? Any assistance is appreciated...

webber no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Re: Tired of Remote Desktop...

Take the exe file that you installed for the server and install that locally on your desktop.
    When you go through the options, you want to install only the Blackberry Manager.
    I'm not sure of the rest of the configuration for Lotus Notes, as I haven't installed it in a while, but I do know that you have to have Lotus Notes installed on your desktop and you need to point to your ID file.

Also you need to know where the SQL Server is and point to that. (Easy enough to get from the Config Manager or current BES)

It should be pretty self forward after that.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by webber; 03-03-2008 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Added line
    -Webber

‹_› ‹(•¿•)› ‹_›

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK

Also for a mobile solution check out Rove - Mobile Admin, we are going to get it and ill let you know how it works...
    it's always greener with the other carrier...

PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by chatster18 View Post
    Also for a mobile solution check out Rove - Mobile Admin, we are going to get it and ill let you know how it works...
    I had the trial on that, still trying to talk the company into paying for now.
    Anyways it works great, but not if you are doing alot of things. It can be slow, based on where your BES is / network speeds. I was using it for when I was on call and needed to do password resets in ad, or resend service books on the BES.

But if you have to add people alot, then running the Blackberry Manager locally is it. No only do you not have to remote desktop, but you can activate phones ALOT easier. Just plug the phone in via the usb cable, add the user (no password needed), then right click on said user and assign device.

This is providing you have a high enough role assigned.

But when you do, it cuts out alot of BB/Activation issues as you are taking the carrier/wireless out of it. Plus it is alot faster and no typing on the Blackberry its self.
    -Webber

‹_› ‹(•¿•)› ‹_›

PIN/ID
    ASK

Thanks for the insight! Yes I am working on convincing my boss... we will see how it goes, he was all for it yesterday, but who knows...

cyberpyr8 no está en línea Stack level 2

I have a full version of Mobile Admin and I will tell you it has made my life easier when I am away from the office. I have been traveling and been able to disable accounts and even remotely control my Veritas tape backups. It is simple to use and conveinent to have. I never have to worry about needing my laptop to do most simple tasks. You should try the free trial and see what you think.

RJeffDay no está en línea Stack level 2

THANKS for the information Webber!!!

I have installed the Blackberry Manager on my local machine and it works just fine...

"I'm so HAPPEEEeeee... I'm so HAPPEEEeeee..."

*insert vision of me jumping and clicking heels here*

PIN/ID

I'm glad it worked out for you. Just wait til you do your first activation using the "assign device" link.

I won't do an over the air activation anymore.
    -Webber

‹_› ‹(•¿•)› ‹_›

akamurph no está en línea Stack level 2

Has anyone gotten the manager to install on Vista by chance? I keep getting runtime errors trying to install it...

PIN/ID
    ASK

Quote Originally Posted by cyberpyr8 View Post
    I have a full version of Mobile Admin and I will tell you it has made my life easier when I am away from the office. I have been traveling and been able to disable accounts and even remotely control my Veritas tape backups. It is simple to use and conveinent to have. I never have to worry about needing my laptop to do most simple tasks. You should try the free trial and see what you think.
    We have a relatively low budget for software, and the boss isnt totally convinced that it would be useful... any suggestions?

PIN/ID

It isn't that expensive. Last time I talked with Rove it was like $250 per server, with unlimited users. I'm trying to talk my boss into 2 licenses. One for the BES and one for one of our main DC's. He says once I write the policies for the BES, we can get them. Thing is NO one in the company, including the execs want their BB's to lock. They keep shooting down all my policies changes. (I'm thinking of just locking them and telling them too bad, I want my software!)

Anyways, $500.00 isn't much compared to having to carry a laptop everywhere when you are oncall... and then the hunt for wi-fi if you don't have tethering turned on.
    -Webber

‹_› ‹(•¿•)› ‹_›

PIN/ID
    ASK

250 is expensive for us.... non-profit, and they don't quite think it will be useful, but I am still working on it. Did you get it yet?

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

I would "personally" recommend this. I used the trial but at the time couldn't convince management to buy. That was a while ago when they were Idokorro

PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by chatster18 View Post
    Did you get it yet?
    Sadly no.. I'm arguing about CAL's with one of the directors. We are totally out of compliance with RIM. I was even told by one of the other directors, at my company, to go ahead and put a service call into RIM so that we would get shut off. Maybe then they would purchase the CAL's we need. (But then I'll have 170+ angry users who can't get mail).

Luckily my direct manager can approve the 2 licenses, since it is under $500. So I'm hoping once I get the rest of the desktops built and 2 new laptop images done he'll be in a good mood and say yes.

If you haven't done the trial, do it. I ran it for like 2 months off my desktop.
    -Webber

‹_› ‹(•¿•)› ‹_›

rsenio no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by akamurph View Post
    Has anyone gotten the manager to install on Vista by chance? I keep getting runtime errors trying to install it...
    I've tried and tried as well, but no luck. As far as I've read no one has been able to get it to install on a Vista machine.