I haven't yet got a second to try it but it can't be as easy ... Server Admins forum

alexo1us no está en línea Stack level 1

switching from deaktop redirector to BES

Advertisement

I haven't yet got a second to try it but it can't be as easy as it seems.
    I have a user using a pearl with desktop redirection.
    I have installed the BES and have it ready.
    I hooked it up and it sees the device and pin number. Do I just have to add the user and point to the correct mail box?
    I just don't want to lose any info on him but since it already is working with his exchange through his desktop. It should be OK right?
    he wants this done on monday or tuesday any help would be appreciated.
    Alex

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: switching from deaktop redirector to BES

Once the user is set up on the BES, you have to give them an Enterprise Activation password. Then they have to go to ( Settings/Tools --> ) Options --> Advanced Options --> Enterprise Activation. They enter their email address and the password you created or generated, Click the Wheel/Menu button and select Activate.

If you reconfigure Desktop Manager to use the BES instead of the Desktop Redirector, you can simply run Desktop Manager, plug in the device and it will perform the Enterprise Activation automatically (with a WIRED - not WiFi - network connection to your BES).
    JerryD

Thumbs up Re: switching from deaktop redirector to BES

Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala
    Once the user is set up on the BES, you have to give them an Enterprise Activation password. Then they have to go to ( Settings/Tools --> ) Options --> Advanced Options --> Enterprise Activation. They enter their email address and the password you created or generated, Click the Wheel/Menu button and select Activate.

If you reconfigure Desktop Manager to use the BES instead of the Desktop Redirector, you can simply run Desktop Manager, plug in the device and it will perform the Enterprise Activation automatically (with a WIRED - not WiFi - network connection to your BES).

Thanx I will be turing off the desktop software and blowing it away after I get this working from BES.
    I just do not like the unknown well unknown to me anyway.
    I have my own network setup here for playing if I blow it up I don't care I have the time to fix it.
    but if i break something on his production server I really have to run to fix it.
    I will just use the server to setup this way the desktop redirector, I know is out of the loop.
    Alex

jestar15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    400DD044

I would be careful of the tethered activation only because the wireless activation pushes the Desktop SYNC service book that allows for wireless synchronization of all the options, i.e. Memo Pad/Notes, Tasks, etc.. I don't think it will be populated if the activation is done by a tethered synch, but you may be able to push the service books from the BES after the activation is complete.

Good Luck!

I just picked up a 7105 for my experiments froma electronics depo I hope it works where the heck is the pin located? all I got was a supposit new unit without software or books I quickstart book from BB.
    I will hook up this one first to a desktop redirector then do the switch since this is what I'm about to do.
    Thanx for all of your help
    Alex

jestar15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    400DD044

The PIN/ESN should be located in the Options menu under Status, just above the IMEI.

Thanx for all the help so far and for the most part it went ok.
    But two issues

1, the production environment all works as expected but I can't get the Calendar to sync up to outlook.
    Have done a search and it seems this is a big issue any help would be great.

2, on the test server everything worked fine until I switched users on the device now every thing works even Calendar but it will not send emails

Both are the same Server 2003 with Exchange 2003 and BE express server.
    Since both the setups are the same I think it just settings.
    As I learn more I'm sure I'll get better. But it is hard to diagnose without knowing what results should come from making changes.
    I may even get to be help here.

Once again thanx for the help

Hey just an update.
    I now have the lab BB working great now all of the mail and calender work fine.
    I had to nuke it and reinstall the OS but it worked.
    Haven't tried on the production yet I'm hopping some of the other things will work before I nuke it.
    I do have another question
    Is this possable, I know it is through VPN. But can my device bypass the wireless if I open ports to the internet instead if having to VPN in? if so any idea what ports?
    Thanx alex

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by alexo1us
    Hey just an update.
    I now have the lab BB working great now all of the mail and calender work fine.
    I had to nuke it and reinstall the OS but it worked.
    Haven't tried on the production yet I'm hopping some of the other things will work before I nuke it.
    I do have another question
    Is this possable, I know it is through VPN. But can my device bypass the wireless if I open ports to the internet instead if having to VPN in? if so any idea what ports?
    Thanx alex
    I'm not sure what you're trying to do.

Before I get flamed for not pointing out just using an "Over The Air" Enterprise Activation I'll mention that we only recently upgraded our BES Servers to 4.1 from 4.0 and OTA Activations failed about 50% of the time, and even when successful many of them seemed to develop strange problems within a month requiring another EA, so we have not been using OTA much. We're trying OTA more these days, but we still find that wiping the device (steps 2-6 below) are necessary. In fact, we also support Windows Mobile devices running Good, and find getting that to work has a higher chance of succeeding if we wipe the device first!

You want Desktop Manager to connect through the VPN so it can see both your Exchange and BES servers. It will work through a VPN - at least the two I have experience with - to perform what I'll call a connected Enterprise Activation (which doesn't require an Enterprise Activation password).

As long as you can run Outlook "Connected", this should work. If you're not using Exchange/Outlook, the same holds true for the other Enterprise email systems supported.

However, I've found that for some reason - probably too much overhead - you can NOT perform a connected Enterprise Activation over a Wireless connection - without or especially with a VPN connection! We have wireless in our office, and sometimes you can get a connected EA to work over that wireless connection, but there's no VPN involved.

We've never been able to get a Wireless (802.11) connection through our VPNs to do a connected Enterprise Activation. In situations where no other connection is available (rarely), we'll fall back on an Over The Air Enterprise Activation using an Enterprise Activation password.

BTW - I work for a company with over 5,000 BlackBerry users, and support a region with about half of those. I can do this while I'm asleep! Here's the basic steps involved:
    1. Be sure the end user has all the prerequisites:
      1. A wired connection to the network (Internet or Office)
      2. A BlackBerry Sync cable (I always forget to ask if they have this!)
      3. The VPN running if the network connection is NOT the company network (not in one of our offices)
      4. Outlook running in Connected mode (this is just an easy way to verify the connection to the Exchange server)
      5. Desktop Manager 4.1 or higher (4.2 SP1 or higher is preferable) set up for Enterprise BES and using the correct Outlook Profile
    2. Wipe the BlackBerry - yes, even if (especially) it's brand new.
    3. Go through the Setup Wizard but don't set anything up (this is a recent addition - the Curve and 8830 seem to fail if the Wizard hasn't been run!)
    4. Turn the wireless on and wait for the device to register on the Wireless (Cellular) Network. Force a registration through (Host Routing Table) if needed.
    5. Make sure the BlackBerry has a Data connection (all caps GPRS, EDGE, EVDO, 1X, etc.)
    6. Set the time zone and make sure the Date and Time are correct on the BlackBerry
    7. On the BlackBerry, go to the Enterprise Activation screen but do not enter anything
    8. Connect the BlackBerry to the computer
    9. Now wait. Be patient! The Enterprise Activation will start automatically, but I've seen it take over 10 minutes to start.
    Once the EA starts, it will get up to 90% fairly quickly. Once the activation starts, a list of about 30 items will appear, and each will go through a cycle of Initializing, Synchronizing, Complete. The percentage number is a percentage of the number of items in the list, but the last things synchronized are the Phone Logs, Calendar, and Address Book. Typically there's a LOT of data there (not in Phone Logs if it's a new account), and it can take four times as long to get through these last three items as it took to get through the rest of the list. Be patient! If the activation seems to hand be patient - I've seen it hang for more than 15 minutes and then continue. This is true of a connected or OTA Enterprise Activation. Of course, sometimes it does just fail, and unfortunately you've waited 20 minutes to determine that!

Hope this helps.
    JerryD

Thanx jdellasala.
    I shouldn't think anyone should flame you for helping out.
    Even if you gave an incorrect answer at least it something to try.
    But anyway if what I'm reading hear I have correctly actually makes sense.
    When I switched the user and it didn't work as the first user I was pulling my hair out.
    I decided to do a nuke. This worked for the lab unit.
    If all else fails I will do the same on the pearl unit in the production LAN.
    My question for remote connectivity was can I open ports to allow for connection without using VPN but VPN is not a big issue just thinking maybe it can be done with out it.
    Thanx for the answer from here on in a nuke is the way to go just wiping data is not all ways effective.
    Thanx again Alex

garycutri no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala
    I'm not sure what you're trying to do.

Before I get flamed for not pointing out just using an "Over The Air" Enterprise Activation I'll mention that we only recently upgraded our BES Servers to 4.1 from 4.0 and OTA Activations failed about 50% of the time, and even when successful many of them seemed to develop strange problems within a month requiring another EA, so we have not been using OTA much. We're trying OTA more these days, but we still find that wiping the device (steps 2-6 below) are necessary. In fact, we also support Windows Mobile devices running Good, and find getting that to work has a higher chance of succeeding if we wipe the device first!

You want Desktop Manager to connect through the VPN so it can see both your Exchange and BES servers. It will work through a VPN - at least the two I have experience with - to perform what I'll call a connected Enterprise Activation (which doesn't require an Enterprise Activation password).

As long as you can run Outlook "Connected", this should work. If you're not using Exchange/Outlook, the same holds true for the other Enterprise email systems supported.

However, I've found that for some reason - probably too much overhead - you can NOT perform a connected Enterprise Activation over a Wireless connection - without or especially with a VPN connection! We have wireless in our office, and sometimes you can get a connected EA to work over that wireless connection, but there's no VPN involved.

We've never been able to get a Wireless (802.11) connection through our VPNs to do a connected Enterprise Activation. In situations where no other connection is available (rarely), we'll fall back on an Over The Air Enterprise Activation using an Enterprise Activation password.

BTW - I work for a company with over 5,000 BlackBerry users, and support a region with about half of those. I can do this while I'm asleep! Here's the basic steps involved:
    1. Be sure the end user has all the prerequisites:
      1. A wired connection to the network (Internet or Office)
      2. A BlackBerry Sync cable (I always forget to ask if they have this!)
      3. The VPN running if the network connection is NOT the company network (not in one of our offices)
      4. Outlook running in Connected mode (this is just an easy way to verify the connection to the Exchange server)
      5. Desktop Manager 4.1 or higher (4.2 SP1 or higher is preferable) set up for Enterprise BES and using the correct Outlook Profile
    2. Wipe the BlackBerry - yes, even if (especially) it's brand new.
    3. Go through the Setup Wizard but don't set anything up (this is a recent addition - the Curve and 8830 seem to fail if the Wizard hasn't been run!)
    4. Turn the wireless on and wait for the device to register on the Wireless (Cellular) Network. Force a registration through (Host Routing Table) if needed.
    5. Make sure the BlackBerry has a Data connection (all caps GPRS, EDGE, EVDO, 1X, etc.)
    6. Set the time zone and make sure the Date and Time are correct on the BlackBerry
    7. On the BlackBerry, go to the Enterprise Activation screen but do not enter anything
    8. Connect the BlackBerry to the computer
    9. Now wait. Be patient! The Enterprise Activation will start automatically, but I've seen it take over 10 minutes to start.
    Once the EA starts, it will get up to 90% fairly quickly. Once the activation starts, a list of about 30 items will appear, and each will go through a cycle of Initializing, Synchronizing, Complete. The percentage number is a percentage of the number of items in the list, but the last things synchronized are the Phone Logs, Calendar, and Address Book. Typically there's a LOT of data there (not in Phone Logs if it's a new account), and it can take four times as long to get through these last three items as it took to get through the rest of the list. Be patient! If the activation seems to hand be patient - I've seen it hang for more than 15 minutes and then continue. This is true of a connected or OTA Enterprise Activation. Of course, sometimes it does just fail, and unfortunately you've waited 20 minutes to determine that!

Hope this helps.
    Configure a VPN profile on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server
    http://www.blackberryforums.com.au/f...se-server.html

Install and configure a BlackBerry Router for BlackBerry smartphone activations over a Wi-Fi connection
    http://www.blackberryforums.com.au/f...over-wifi.html
    Blackberry Support Forums - Asia Pacific
    www.blackberryforums.com.au