Hello everyone, Has anyone ever setup a BES from their home connection? I have a ... Server Admins forum

lieb39 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Setup BES at Home?

Advertisement

Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever setup a BES from their home connection? I have a trial access for BES and a MSDN test Exchange server which I've setup for testing with MX records and all - all working.

Anyone ever do this? Any advice, thoughts or things I should be concerned about?

Cheers,

lieb39

zycron no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23D2F2C1

Re: Setup BES at Home?

I think I remember seeing a free personal version of the BES from the bb site. May want to try that setup. On my list to do too someday.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Well I think you're speaking of BB express. I may try that... Anyone know what port BB use?

Cheers.

dkozinn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f260fb

I found this thread which seems to explain what you need to do this:
    blackberryforums.pinstack.com/5998-hosting_bes_my_home_server.html

PIN/ID

Ya, I saw that. Basic stuff. The only stuff I'm worried about is things related to the actual network setup. However, i've been told everything only runs on port 3101 TCP/IP (in/out) and that's the only one I need to open up. Is this correct?

Cheers

p.s. anyone who would be willing to discuss/help me with BES, please add me to your BB messenger list and we'll chat.

PIN/ID
    23f260fb

Quote Originally Posted by lieb39
    Ya, I saw that. Basic stuff. The only stuff I'm worried about is things related to the actual network setup. However, i've been told everything only runs on port 3101 TCP/IP (in/out) and that's the only one I need to open up. Is this correct?
    That's correct. All that you need to do is to make sure that your server is able to open a connection outbound to the RIM SRP server. All traffic will then take place over that connection. Of course, the BES will need to be able to communicate internally to your mail server (which probably won't be an issue if it's on the same server or internal to your network at home.)

PIN/ID

Cool. The entire BB setup is *finally* starting to make sense for me. Question - do I just need the TCP Protocol to be forwarded? Nothing else (UDP, etc.)

Thanks again

-lieb39
    Anyone who is familiar and willing to discuss/help me with BES, add me to your BB Messenger! Cheers :)

PIN/ID
    23f260fb

Cool. The entire BB setup is *finally* starting to make sense for me. Question - do I just need the TCP Protocol to be forwarded? Nothing else (UDP, etc.)

Thanks again

-lieb39
    Yep, just TCP 3101.

Of course, if you're going to use MDS (I don't know if the Express version has that capability) to go back out to the Internet, you'd need to open ports for that as well, but if you're just dealing with email, then it's just 3101, and in fact, it's just to a specific server or two.

David

PIN/ID

I try to activate my device, however the device just gets stuck on 'Activating...' until it times out. I've forwarded the port and cofirmed that the email works without issues. What else could the issue be?

Thanks!

-lieb39
    Anyone who is familiar and willing to discuss/help me with BES, add me to your BB Messenger! Cheers :)

PIN/ID
    23f260fb

I try to activate my device, however the device just gets stuck on 'Activating...' until it times out. I've forwarded the port and cofirmed that the email works without issues. What else could the issue be?
    Just to back up a step, did you verify that your BES was talking to the RIM SRP? In the configuration program, there's a place where you put in the SRP key and validation string and it gives you the opportunity to validate against the SRP. Did you try that, and was it successful?

There's also a program that you can run from a command line that's in the main directory where all the BES stuff is, I think it's called something like bessrptest.exe (that's not exactly right, but it's soemthing like that). If you run that from a command line, it'll tell you whether or not it's able to communicate with the SRP, which will indicate whether you're OK as far as the SRP piece.

The other thing that I can think of off the top of my head might be a problem with the CAL that you have to install to allow the use of the handheld. You should have been prompted to install that during initial installation. I'm not sure what happens if it's not installed right, but I wouldn't be surprised if the device couldn't connect.

Crewdawg257 no está en línea BES Pro

Since dkozinn seems to be on top of answering questions I'll just add that BES Express is a full blown BES install with a single free CAL and a 15 user limit. Additional CALs can be bought for about $99 US.

= ' )