Hello all, I am relatively new to this whole deal but have managed to get ... Server Admins forum

jdeer0618 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    3018485c

Server 2k3, Exchange 2k3, BES

Advertisement

Hello all,

I am relatively new to this whole deal but have managed to get my server up and running at the house and able to send and receive mail through outlook... All very exciting!

However I have installed my free BES from BB and cannot seem to get the phone to activate. The server generates the email for connecting the BB to the server but it never goes anywhere and the phone just sits at the activating screen then times out.

Could this problem be from using a "Smart Host" in exchange? I really cannot figure out what is going on.

TIA

JD
    Visit me at www.bhamsales.com

audit no está en línea BES Guru
    PIN/ID
    ASK

Re: Server 2k3, Exchange 2k3, BES

Make sure you have the TCP port 3101 for incoming to your BES server enabled on your firewall.
    audit
    -
    Want to be the one of first people to know about RIM outages? Visit http://www.dataoutages.com

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

When you click on the Activation Screen you need to type in your email address assigned on your exchange server for the BES and then the password in the email that was sent, if not set your own and type it in. Then click "Activate". This should get you up an running.

Since your device is not receiving the emails you will not get the activation email. The above should et you up and running.

PIN/ID
    3018485c

MWPatterson,

I have done that process and this is where it gets stuck at activating.

I need to try the port forwarding but even when the computer was in the DMZ (I know it should not be there) the phone would not activate.

Thanks,
    JD

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Ok, then I would try the port forwarding. Also check the firewall on you W2K3 box. I would check the firewall on the Server and leave in the DMZ to vertify it works. If you can get it to work this way then port forwarding should work too.

Also your ISP might be blocking certain ports too. I know some block 21, 25, and 80 incoming.
    Last edited by MWPatterson; 09-24-2007 at 04:17 PM.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Does the BB have an enterprise data plan? Sometimes our privider needs to add BES as an option to our plans.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    3018485c

MWPatterson, thank you for your response. I am not certain that charter does or does not block those ports in my market. I would assume that if my exchange server is working properly that port blocking is not the issue. I am pulling my hair out over this though.

DCookSta, the blackberry I have is mine and I have it setup on Exchange my Mail, it works just fine. I really don't think Verizon is the issue.

I know I should have done this already but does anyone think that wiping the device and EA from there may work? I just dread reloading all this just if it is not the problem. I also believe that it is something I have done wrong since this is the first time I have set one of these up.

TIA
    JD

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Did you make sure that the firewall on W2K3 was set to allow port 3101, that is if it is on? You might have to call Verizon, I hate to call them too at work, and check your account as DCookSta stated.
    Last edited by MWPatterson; 09-25-2007 at 03:04 PM.

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro

Run the following from a cmd prompt on your BES server:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Utility\bbsrptest.exe

If successful your screen should look like this:

Last edited by jrockett; 09-25-2007 at 09:26 AM.
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Quote Originally Posted by jrockett
    Run the following from a cmd prompt on your BES server:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Utility\bbsrptest.exe
    Was trying to remember that command, only done it a few time.

Did you get it up and running? Please let us know if you need anything else.
    Last edited by MWPatterson; 09-25-2007 at 04:41 PM.

PIN/ID
    3018485c

I did get everything running... I actually figured out that I added the user to the BES while logged in as Admin and not besadmin. I deleted me from the BES and logged in the correct way and everything was peachy until my IP was added to a few Blacklists. I really just wanted to learn how to set everything up. Thanks everyone for you help.

JD