Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anybody have any clue how to enable sending of HTML emails? I am using ... Server Admins forum

vod332 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24AA5605

Sending HTML emails with BES

Advertisement

Does anybody have any clue how to enable sending of HTML emails?

I am using BES 4.1.6.14, Handheld version 4.5.0.81

I can receive HTML, but cannot send. Only comes through as Plain text...

It must be a BES setting, but I am lost...

Please help.

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    You are limited to plain text on sending. The HTML is only for received emails. Sorry...

PIN/ID
    24AA5605
    I wish I could believe you, but it’s not true. Not only did a colleague tell me the opposite today, but I found this in a Blackberry official PDF,

"BlackBerry® Enterprise Server version 4.1 SP6 supports users sending and receiving HTML and RTF email messages using BlackBerry devices that are running BlackBerry® Device Software version 4.5 or later. By default, support for HTML and RTF email messages is turned on. You can turn off this feature using the BlackBerry Manager."
    (from http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliver...t_BESX.pdf.pdf)

SO WHY CAN'T WE SEND IN HTML!!!!??????
    Last edited by vod332; 01-26-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: html tags were stuck in there...

Hmmmm, well that's new to me. I'll do some digging in my server and see what I can find. Thanks for the link to the article. I'll get back to you if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Let me take a step back now that I've had a minute to think about it. I know that if you reply to an HTML email from your BB, it will return it to the original sender as HTML. However, I have never seen any options to compose a new email on the device as HTML.

Can you confirm whether colleague was replying to and email you sent, or if they composed a new email?

PIN/ID
    24AA5605
    This was a brand new email sent directly from his blackberry.

He purposely sent me a new, fresh email from his BB to proove to me that he could send HTML emails from it and not just replies.

As as stated before, BB says you can send HTML emails in that document!

Did he do anything to the text, like Bold it, or color it? Italics?

In any Blackberry OS that I've ever used (Which included just about every beta), I've never seen any text editing options on the devices.

And technically, you can send HTML emails, like I described in replies, but I don't think it's possible to compose a new HTML email. Any other BES Experts out there wanna help me out on this?

PIN/ID
    24AA5605
    No, I never said you could do text editing, but the email did come to me as HTML. If you want to private me your email address I can forward you his email.

Quote Originally Posted by vod332 View Post
    No, I never said you could do text editing, but the email did come to me as HTML. If you want to private me your email address I can forward you his email.
    I know you didn't bring up the editing, but I was just curious how the email was sent, or if he had to change anything on his device to make it HTML, or if it just automatically sent that way...just trying to get more details to help you figure this out.

From what I can tell, the BB only sends out as HTML if it needs to. Based on the example email you sent me, I'm thinking that because the signature he used that is generated from 3rd party software contains HTML, that is why he's sending out default in HTML.

That's the only thing I can think of. If you attach an image to an email, or even just a link, it still sends it as plain text.

Hopefully someone else will jump in here.

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    On what platform are you running your BES and what platform is his BES? Exchange? Groupwise? etc...
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

manimal437 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I read a RIM KB article recently in which it stated that you cannot COMPOSE HTML content from the Blackberry. Your PDF article states that you can SEND HTML email, which is true, provided that the email already has some HTML content in it (i.e. replying or forwarding).

In your colleague's case, there must have been some other service adding the HTML content after it was composed on the device (most likely the signature, as previously stated).

I wish I could find the RIM KB article I'm speaking of, but I can't seem to locate it. I just read it last week though.

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by manimal437 View Post
    I read a RIM KB article recently in which it stated that you cannot COMPOSE HTML content from the Blackberry. Your PDF article states that you can SEND HTML email, which is true, provided that the email already has some HTML content in it (i.e. replying or forwarding).

In your colleague's case, there must have been some other service adding the HTML content after it was composed on the device (most likely the signature, as previously stated).

I wish I could find the RIM KB article I'm speaking of, but I can't seem to locate it. I just read it last week though.
    I believe this is the article you are talking about. From the KB KB15252 article New features in BlackBerry Internet Service 2.5:

Important: HTML content cannot be created when forwarding, replying to, or composing a new email message.
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!

Aleksrussian no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30546CA8
    Perhaps a third party app did this?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksrussian View Post
    Perhaps a third party app did this?
    Yes, I'm sure that is the case. They had a 3rd party app on their mail server that automatically added a signature to the person's email.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast