I have a question about a specific policy... hopefully this is the place. Our enterprise ... Server Admins forum

eislandish no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    40127E96

Security timeout/password on users' Blackberry

Advertisement

I have a question about a specific policy... hopefully this is the place. Our enterprise is new to BES and though each agency has "authority" regarding what policies are to be applied to their users - the actual administration is done by 1 person at the Enterprise level. We are left with trying to explain to them what we'd like done, and because they are new - we often have to help find out how to do it.
    My question: We implemented the security timeout on our users with 15min as the interval for locking the device. Civil war broke out, hostages were taken, killed, more taken and now we are retracting the timeout setting. However, the admin seems to be unable to push a policy that actually disables the timeout - all that has happened is the users have from 1min to 1 hour as options, but they still have to have a timeout.
    It seems there is a relationship to timeout and the password - How do we undo the timeout policy? BES is version 4.0 sp? Thanks for any help.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Security timeout/password on users' Blackberry

Sorry but u may have to remove and reactivate all Blackberries on the server. However, the timeout is a recommended practice for companies. What you do is start at an hour so that it's not a pain the about 3 months in to things (when most users have gotten used to typing in the passowrd fast and on the first try) send an email to all users about needed changes of the IT security policy including or solely about reducing security timeout to 30mins. I wouldn't go less than 30mins.

I like what you guys are doing though, far to many companies don't take this seriously. The BB's power to deliver emails, calendar appointments between staff etc and being very mobile carrier of so much data... many times can be the kink in a Company's security armor.

eislandish no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    40127E96

Thanks for the reply.. I never expected to be in the position of trying to undo the timeout. We unfortunately started on the wrong end... 15 minutes, then an hour, now...
    Our undoing is phone calls. Our execs are on the road placing calls and every time they turn around (their words), they have to unlock the device before they can put in a number. Of course I've pointed out that they shouldn't be calling and driving, but they do and having the extra step of unlocking the device gave them fits.
    I'll be trying your suggestion this afternoon. Wish me luck.

sherlockphon no está en línea Stack level 1

Hopefully I'm not too late, because I think I have the answer you're looking for. Our firm uses a 10 minute timeout and as a user I can tell you that it is a pain and that 10 minutes is way too short. I'm a supporter of using passwords, and if your users have the option of 60 minutes, then they really have nothing to complain about. I think the reason the solution isn't readily apparant is that you tend to focus on the timeout when the problem is really having the password.

With that said, your solution has two parts, the first I think you've already done. Step one is to send a policy that no longer requires a password. The timeout setting is irrelavent because without the password all they have to do is move the scroll wheel and they're back in action. For any newly issued BlackBerries, that's all you need. However, any BlackBerry that already has a password on it needs to have it removed.

To remove the existing password you can either have your users do it (if they are pretty technically savy) or you can have them bring their BlackBerry in so that you can do it. Here are the steps (they only work if the current policy doesn't require a password):
    1. Select Options
    2. Select Security Options
    3. Select General Settings
    4. Change the Password field from Enabled to Disabled (this is also where they can adjust the timeout setting
    5. Save the settings before closing

The good news is that the steps are pretty simple. The bad news is that you have to do this on every BlackBerry. Have fun

~Rod

Martin E no está en línea Stack level 1

Can any one tellme ( a novice user of an 8800) how to increase the length of the security time out from 2 to 60 mins. The 2mins set as standard are killing me and my Company doesn't seem to know how to change it.

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro

Holy thread revival Batman

Goto Options>Security Options>General Settings and change the field Security Timeout.

GL
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!

Martin E no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks GL. Much appreciated. However, there seems to be a little padlock next to it which prevents me from making a change. Any more clues?!!

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro

It is locked down by a policy. If this is not a company blackberry then check this thread on how to remove the policy. If this is a company blackberry then you need to see your BES admin about changing this setting in the policy.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._i_remove.html
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!

I know it's possible already to late but eislandish, there is a option that you can place calls without having to unlock the device....just to have it posted ; )