I have a client that wants his Excecutive Secretary to have access to his Exchange ... Server Admins forum

rcspang no está en línea Stack level 1

Second BB on the same Exchange account

Advertisement

I have a client that wants his Excecutive Secretary to have access to his Exchange calendar. He has a Blackberry on his account already, but he wants her to have access to his calendar on her BB so if he needs to find out about a date, he can call her up (on his BlackBerry) and ask her how his calendar looks (I assume that she will be using HER BlackBerry as a phone) so she will have to take the BB from her ear and look up the date on her (his) calendar and tell him that it is ok. Then she will enter it on her (his) calendar on her BB and then it will show up on his BB at the next sync time.

I know that this sounds really convoluted , but that is what they want. She currently has access to his calendar on her Outlook, but this only works when she is in the office. She has access to his email as well, so privacy is not an issue between them.

Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance,

Randy

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

Re: Second BB on the same Exchange account

Chapura software just recently added a software to their product line that would do what you are describing so that the ExecSec would always have access to the Bosses calendar via Blackberry. It's 49.95 for the software, but it sounds like that's not really objectionable to the boss.

http://www.chapura.com/foldermirror.php

Thanks for the quick reply!

Looks like this might do the job. We are using BES, so it sounds like I would need to run this application on the Exec Sec's desktop and point it to her shared view of his calendar. It would act like a desktop redirector even though she would not be using DR for her BB.

Randy

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ as for the pulling the BB away to look at the calendar, this can be viewed using the speakerphone function, place the call on the loudspeaker and use the "switch application" function to exit to the home screen and access the calendar. The only consideration on this point is the sensitivity of the information being discussed as anyone within earshot of execsec will be privy to the conversation.

crutcherk no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3280610B

Why does he have a blackberry???
    It must be nice to be able to pay a secretary instead of reading the manual.
    I am interested in that Chapura software for my wife and I to share calender information. Do you have to be on a BES and exchange server?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

Quote Originally Posted by crutcherk
    I am interested in that Chapura software for my wife and I to share calender information. Do you have to be on a BES and exchange server?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    You need to able to sync with your calendar on your laptop/desktop, which at least in my setup, is through the BES. I don't know enough about BIS to answer for that side.

Crutcherk, I cannot answer your question about why he needs a BB! As to the second comment, it appears that the Chapura software runs on your desktop and uses your Outlook data to talk to your BB. Not sure how the data gets to the BB, but it does not require BES and it appears that it does not use it either. It communicates with all kinds of handhelds, so it must work by sending out those 'special' emails that get intercepted by the O/S and interpreted as commands. Just my guess...

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by crutcherk
    You've obviously never had to deal with execs... The "why" doesn't matter is why.

You can also add a secondary calendar via Intellisync/Synchronize in Desktop Manager. However, the calendar then has to be synced by USB. Our executive assistants are configured this way. We'll have to check out the Chapura software to see if it's a better option or not... The reliance on the desktop PC might be an issue for us though.

Quote Originally Posted by ma077146
    You need to able to sync with your calendar on your laptop/desktop, which at least in my setup, is through the BES. I don't know enough about BIS to answer for that side.
    Based on this:
    Using your current wireless synchronization solution, wirelessly access and stay connected to more of your business and personal information from Outlook while you're away from your desk with FolderMirror.
    It sounds like you do need BES as that's the only way to get wireless sync. However, if you're on BES/hosted BES you can always just create meeting requests for shared calendar items. It's what my wife and I use...
    Last edited by takeshi; 08-08-2007 at 11:05 AM.

Takeshi,

I have about 6 or 7 BES installations, mostly with one or two BBs, and all integrated with Exchange, so I have not had to do the sophisticated and complicated configurations up to this point. If you could give it your 'professional' opinion on how the Chapura program will work, I would appreciate it.

The only thing that makes me think that BES is not required is that it workes with a lot of other handhelds. I assume that if we did not use BES, we could use Desktop redirector.

Confusion factor: BES interfaces directly with Exchange without involving the client's desktop. I load Chapura on the client's desktop and integrate it with Outlook. Where is the connectivity to the BB network if I am not running DR?

Randy

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by rcspang
    Confusion factor: BES interfaces directly with Exchange without involving the client's desktop. I load Chapura on the client's desktop and integrate it with Outlook. Where is the connectivity to the BB network if I am not running DR?
    I'm really just guessing here but based on this text from Chapura's description of "how it works":
    your existing Outlook conduit can then transfer those items to your mobile device
    "Conduit" is a Palm term but in this case, I'd take it to mean BES or Desktop Manager since BIS doesn't have any other method of getting data from Outlook to the BB. However, given that they indicate that this app supports wireless sync, I'd still be inclined to say that I don't see how it would work without BES...

Sorry, I don't have first hand experience with it.

PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

You can email them at info@chapura.com and ask any specific questions you have.