HiI have been asked to put a list together of the cons of allowing non ... Server Admins forum

slewis1972 no está en línea Stack level 1

Risks of non company BB's allowed on the BES?

Advertisement

HiI have been asked to put a list together of the cons of allowing non company owned Blackberries, to be added to the BES and setup for email.Thoughts I have so far:
    1. Any policies/software pushed out to users own BB's may violate there warranties with the carriers
    2. No guarantee a remote wipe will work as no guarantee where the devices came from
    3. As its a personal device, no guarantee the owner of the device will allow it to be kept safe and secure
    4. Being on the BES allows network connections, so files could be transferred from network to a personal device that is outside company control
    5. Supporting BB's that are not woned bu us, where we have tested them, means we cannot fully support them. Note - we dont allow 8100, 8310 on the network as they are more personal devices currently.

Anything I have missed?

Scott

PDATrainer08 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Risks of non company BB's allowed on the BES?

PIN messaging security issue.

In some corporate and or government environments PIN messaging is a security issue. It doubles with personal devices. As you know PIN numbers are part of the device so if, for example, "Bob" is an exec with your company and is using his Blackberry for work purposes and has internal and or external contacts that have his Blackberry PIN number it is possible that some may use the PIN system to transport data to Bob.

When Bob leaves your company it is reasonable to assume that news will reach all of your internal clients/users in a timely fashion. However it is not safe to assume that all external clients will have this information. It is therefore, possible that confidential data may be transmitted to Bob via the PIN system.

If your company is a sales company it may or not be a big issue but if your a government org.... the idea of a terminated client getting confidential email is a nightmare. I realize this could be considered a small risk but for some organizations small is still too big.

tdawg no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    241F06A2

Quote Originally Posted by slewis1972 View Post
    HiI have been asked to put a list together of the cons of allowing non company owned Blackberries, to be added to the BES and setup for email.Thoughts I have so far:
    1. Any policies/software pushed out to users own BB's may violate there warranties with the carriers
    2. No guarantee a remote wipe will work as no guarantee where the devices came from
    3. As its a personal device, no guarantee the owner of the device will allow it to be kept safe and secure
    4. Being on the BES allows network connections, so files could be transferred from network to a personal device that is outside company control
    5. Supporting BB's that are not woned bu us, where we have tested them, means we cannot fully support them. Note - we dont allow 8100, 8310 on the network as they are more personal devices currently.

Anything I have missed?

Scott
    How could 1 void a warranty ?
    BB8900 is mine!

slewis1972 no está en línea Stack level 1

In ref to 1: If we push out an app that breaks the software on the BB to make is unusable, and it has to go back to the carrier, they may say it violates there warranty.

I am happy to be advised otherwise.

Scott

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

Pushing out software on a BB will not Violate the warranty; and you can control security by using an IT policy on the devices

chrisfrmga no está en línea Stack level 1

Aside or the obvious legal reasons, if you have a company with more than lets say 100 Blackberry users, you are going to be faced with various carriers, various devices, various handheld code which will open up testing with respects to applications whether developed in house or 3rd party. What are you going to do with a user who leaves and isnt happy with your company...wiping the device will only work if the radio is on. How valuable is your companies information if it is in the hands of your competitor. I run a shop with 8000 devices so I can tell you first hand that I would be having to answer some serious questions should something like that happen.

Bob G no está en línea Stack level 2

I have a personal BB Curve on BIS, but I think it would be cool to get my corporate e-mail on it too. My company has BES and would be willing to pay for a BB for me, but it would be some lame, obsolete corporate device (8700?) ... NOT! Can I get on the BES without giving up control of my own BB?

I have signed Proprietary Information Agreements, so my company has a legal avenue to ensure data security (not that they would need to).

tdawg no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    241F06A2

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
    I have a personal BB Curve on BIS, but I think it would be cool to get my corporate e-mail on it too. My company has BES and would be willing to pay for a BB for me, but it would be some lame, obsolete corporate device (8700?) ... NOT! Can I get on the BES without giving up control of my own BB?

I have signed Proprietary Information Agreements, so my company has a legal avenue to ensure data security (not that they would need to).
    My personal BB is on Bis and Bes at my job. I have a custom it policy eg no restrictions... Its great!!
    BB8900 is mine!

nvisi0n no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30B4DB5C

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G View Post

I look at this like locking the barn door after all the horses have left.