I’m currently in the planning phase of my production BES environment and will be upgrading ... Server Admins forum

TheLizardFish no está en línea Stack level 1

Remote MDS Connection Service

Advertisement

I’m currently in the planning phase of my production BES environment and will be upgrading from 4.1.6 to 5.0 for Exchange. I’m thinking of installing the MDS Connection Service to a remote server w/ failover so the BES is just working on directing mail messages and not processing MDS requests. In addition to users accessing the internet & intranet we will be instituting a help-desk ticket application for the handhelds that will be using the MDS quite heavily by about 300 users mostly 24/7.

In order to do this where all MDS traffic is routed through a separate server is installing the MDS Connection Service on 2 separate box’s for failover the only requirement or will I also need to incorporate and setup the MDS Integration Service as well?

Also, we have the potential of exceeding 2000 user handheld accounts on our BES. With the MDS and BAS services setup on remote boxes, is more than 1 BES required to handle the load of directing mail for over 2000 users? Should I setup the 2nd BES and add it to my pool?

Here is what I’m planning:

BES w/ core only
    BES01-a (Primary)
    BES01-b (Standby)

BES w/ core only (Potential down the road)
    BES02-a (Primary)
    BES02-b (Standby)

BAS w/ Admin Service and Web Desktop only
    BAS01 (DNS Round Robin)
    BAS02 (DNS Round Robin)

MDS
    MDS01-a (Primary)
    MDS01-b (Standby)

Database mirroring
    Last edited by TheLizardFish; 08-04-2009 at 09:52 AM.

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    From my current design of 5.0 that has RIM's blessing, you can take the MDS server to 1 and the BAS server to 1 if you are putting them on ESX. It provides the fault tolerance thata you are wanting. I would also recommend putting the secondary systems on ESX as they are not the primary systems and will only be used when the primary systems are down or are patched. You can fail back over to the primary when you are complete. Also if you have your SQL server in a cluster, I would recommend that you do not need to mirror as this provides for adiquate failover. You only need to do the database mirroring if you are putting them on a secondary site or do not have it in a cluster. If you have questions pm me and I will get back to ya. I am on vacation and not checking this that often.

Thanks for the info and offer for assistance.

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    No problem at all anytime.
    BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

High availability for a distributed environment - Just for clarity sake if I used this feature in a presentation and said we can configure 2 or more servers such as the Administration Service or BAS in high availability for either hardware load balancing or DNS round robin would I be correct? I’ve read in one location where I would be correct and should set the BAS up for load balancing, but then I read some place else that makes it sound more like failover where if an instance stops responding the other instance can take over. Do I just have the wrong term or is this one in the same w/ the term failover?

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    You can have it either way.
    You can have 1 mds for both hot spare or, you can assign 1 mds server per BES pair primary/hot spare. This might be required but, it depends on your needs and requirements. It can also be easier for you to make firewall requests for internet access if they are required. You only need 1/2 systems that need access versus all of them.
    BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104