Hello everybody, After switching BB devices (from 7290 to 8300) for some of our users, ... Server Admins forum

glockman no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Redirection problems after switching BBs

Advertisement

Hello everybody,

After switching BB devices (from 7290 to 8300) for some of our users, they experience the following:
    - no reconciliation of messages
    - no wireless sync of Address, Calendar, Task and Notes items
    - strange display in Desktop Redirector

The device switch was done using the wizard in Dekstop Manager (Version 4.2.2), and this worked fine. However, the following activation failed for one user - he had to reactivate it again - other users activated without problems.

Now people tell me that at a point emails were not being forwarded anymore. I had a look at the BES, and the pending message count was 0 although there were still unread messages in their inbox that should have been forwarded.
    Also, any entries done in the calendar, addresses etc in Outlook are not being pushed to the BB.
    If you add/change entries on the BB, they don't get updated in Oulook either.
    And the strangest thing is that the information displayed on the BES and the client is different. The "Time since last device contact" is not the same, and the Status ("Running" or "In cradle") doesn't match.
    However, emails sometimes get forwarded, but it takes something from a few seconds to hours to complete. Other items never get updated.

I have tried to reinstall the same desktop software version, reverting back to version 4.2.1 (the one I'm using without any issues with the 8300), deleting the "Blackberry" and "Research in Motion" folders from the users's profile directory, resetting the config, deleting and re-adding the users on the server, (re)activating wirelessly, resending the policy and service book (both get applied successfully), wiping the handeld and starting from scratch - nothing seemed to have worked.

What makes this one particularly strange is the fact that I did exactly the same, and I'm not having any issues - everything works as expected. I'm still on DM version 4.2.1, I also have a Corporate 8300, and I'm on the same BES.
    The only difference is that I'm in Vienna, and the people having problems are in Munich. We are all on the same Exchange Server, though. Only the Desktop software runs at different locations.
    The BES is located in NYC, operated mainly by my colleagues, and hosts about 130 users. None of them is having issues, so it's obviously not a general server problem.

Here is the setup in detail:
    - Win2k3 domain (DCs in NYC and Vienna)
    - Exchange 2003 SP1
    - Outlook 2003 SP2 (people in Munich are working via Citrix on a server in Vienna but have local installations with properly configured mail profiles)
    - BES 4.0.6.7 (uptime about 1 month)
    - BlackBerry Curve 8300 (Firmware Version 4.2.2.90, Platform 2.4.0.35)
    - carrier is T-Mobile

Do you have any idea what could be causing this?
    Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Clemens

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: Redirection problems after switching BBs

Are they using Desktop Redirector?

No, they are on the BES, but they use the Redirector app to check if and how many messages are waiting to be delivered. So far this was working fine, and for me it's the first thing to check the status if something seems to be odd.
    In this case, it's very odd, having different information on a system querying the server.

Thanks

WizeGi no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249ed774

This is EXACTLY what is happening to me. My BES is in Austin, TX. Exchange is in Boston, MA. Everyone else seems to be working except for my boss and myself. We do not share carriers as I am on Cingular and he is on Verizon.

I just went through a warrenty replacment of my phone, nothing has changed for him.

WizeGi,
    have you also switched devices, or did it never work? After having your device replaced, is it working now?
    I already thought about using the old BBs again, but since I'm not sure this will solve the problems (is it really a device issue if the server doesn't recognize that it should forward messages? I don't think so...), I'm staying with the new ones for now.

Clemens

Short update:
    The guys in Munich yesterday told me that once they turn off their comuters (and therefore closing the BB Desktop Manager & Redirector apps) they receive emails normally.
    I will have them try to just close the BB apps and see if that has the same effect.

I can't quite figure out how the device switch fits in there and why my machine with the runnning apps does not cause the BES to be unsure about the status of my Curve.

WizeGi, maybe you can give it a try and see if this works for you also.

Clemens

WizeGi no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249ed774

Sorry for the delayed response.

After speaking with RIM we were told that the latency on our network was the cause of the issue. The BES Server kept doing a heath check.

We were told to install another BES server on my Boston site to connect directly with my Exchange server via the local LAN.

After doing this all the delays have ceased and all is right with my crackberry addicts (myself included)[FONT=Arial][/FONT]

Smile Resolved: Redirection problems after switching BBs

OK, finally I think I can close this case.

After reading through various posts here and on other forums as well I came across the "latency time issue".
    With my latency between NY and Vienna being 120 ms (four times the recommendation of about 30 ms) and the fact that the affected users were configured to sync everything wirelessly and have well over 5000 contacts, the agents on the server experienced a timeout condition which was logged on the BES.

Apparently, synching that much information was too much for this high latency times. After changing the policy to disallow wireless syncs (except for calendar entries), the server started to push emails at a normal speed again.

I guess it was a coincidence that we experienced this issue after switchig devices, because switching back to the old 7290 didn't make any difference.

Thanks and sorry for this quite late update.

Clemens