Greetings! I have a weird situation and I'm hoping one of you brilliant BES experts ... Server Admins forum

sammasam no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Recover SMS from "Wiped" device?

Advertisement

Greetings! I have a weird situation and I'm hoping one of you brilliant BES experts can help me find an answer...

We had an employee who we found out was working for one of our competitors as well as us (a BIG problem in our small company) and I used the "Erase Data and Disable Handlheld" command in BES to brick his 8700c. When he came in the next day, he was fired and relieved of his company property, including the 8700c I wiped.

Here's the question: Is there any way for me to recover any additional information from this handheld now that I've used this command on it? I'm assuming not, but I've been asked to try to recover whatever I can (particularly old SMS messages, which we only started logging in BES in May) because there's a lawsuit pending. I've seen advice online about downloading the IPD and running the Amber Blackberry Converter on it, but I'm assuming that the IPD is gone now... Any advice would be appreciated - I'm hoping I didn't inadvertently trash some of my company's evidence against this guy because I wiped his device instead of just locking it.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    There is a resident expert on the Stacks whose specialty is what you describe above. Unfortunately, I don't believe you will be able to recover very much from what this person has discussed in other threads. Hopefully someone will prove me wrong and be able to help you out!

dubie76 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I agree. I don't think you will be able to get anything. Did he sync it with a company PC? If so you might be able to get data that way.
    Sprint Tour 9630
    OS 5.0.0.230 (Leaked)

Man, I hope so... Basically we're trying to figure out how long this was going on, and since we didn't implement the new security policy logging SMS messages until earlier this year, then there's no way to tell. It's clear that this guy was using SMS to communicate with the competitor (not bright) but I can't see anything prior to around May 9th and I need to get back at least to the beginning of the year...

Quote Originally Posted by dubie76 View Post
    I agree. I don't think you will be able to get anything. Did he sync it with a company PC? If so you might be able to get data that way.
    Negative, we only do wireless sync.

Even if he did sync it with the PC, the SMS messages aren't part of the sync package, so that won't be much help, unless he was even more stupid and used his company e-mail address for part of these communications!

dubie76 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    True. Now that you mention it, SMS would not be a part of it. If he did sync it, you might be able to find the other companies phone number or any saved emails that he saved from them.
    Sprint Tour 9630
    OS 5.0.0.230 (Leaked)

Nothing in email, but yes in SMS - pretty heavily. I was hoping that SMS was stored on the SIM, but it's empty... Plugged it into Desktop Manager and there's practically nothing showing under data including SMS.

kieranwest is the guy you want to talk to about this and you can send him a Private Message (up in the top righthand corner you'll see a link to do this) using that username. I believe data recovery is one of his company's specialties, but again, from what I've seen him say before, BBs are not like PCs where you can recover deleted data easily.

Hope you can find some resolution for this! Good luck!

Roger

No backups from the device onto the PC?

Nope, it's never been plugged into a PC... Thanks for the advice, I'll pm him now!

... and, I can't pm anyone until I have 10 posts. Guess I need to go gripe about the 9000 release date for a couple mins...

mausland no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    319F4837
    Does the other company know about this? You should get a lawyer and go after their logs before they go away.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Oh, yeah... they definitely knew, it looks like he was playing both sides. They're not going to cooperate with us because they are likely to be part of the suit... I'm pretty sure we could subpoena their records but I'm pretty sure they don't use BES and there's likely no logs to go after. Plus, all of our employees pay for their own data plan and get reimbursed, so we don't have access to this guy's phone/SMS records that way either. Lawyer's already on it, but he's the one that's pushing for more SMS records to see if there's any more evidence.