Anyone know how to keep from automatically sending a read receipt when I check my ... Server Admins forum

SoCalRyDer no está en línea Stack level 1

Read Receipt

Advertisement

Anyone know how to keep from automatically sending a read receipt when I check my emails from my BB. Certain people have "read receipts" that I can choose to send or not on my desktop. But I noticed that when I read emails on my BB it automatically sends them. There are certain times and people that I do not like to send "read receipts" for whatever reason. Help!

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

Re: Read Receipt

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Well, it's not that you read the email on your BB, but that you read the email.

With Outlook (and likely others), it is possible to view the preview pane, and "read" emails without actually reading them. The emails won't be marked as read/open, and the sender won't get the receipt.

But there is no preview option on the BB. If you open an email, it's open, and that status is updated on the mail server and the receipt is sent.

Honesty is the best route here, if a sender is putting read receipt on your email, and you don't want to send the receipt, then don't read the email.

I speak from the other side, where I put read receipts on emails to co-workers that have a habit of not reading email. One is notorious and infamous for deleting most email without reading!!! And we wonder why he doesn't know what's going on??

Wait until you're at your desk and preview the email, then the receipt won't be sent, as you never read it. Be patient and don't read it on your BB.

wibbly no está en línea Stack level 3

When receipeints using Outlook preview their messages, and then delete them, the sender gets a 'deleted unread receipt' even though the receipient did indeed read the message. Funny when someone starting tidying up their mailbox and I sometime get these 6 months after the meessage was sent!

I'm not aware of any option to prevent sending read receipts on a BB.

SoCalRyDer no está en línea Stack level 1

Well. I use read recipts too. But I mean them more for internal use. That way I can be sure that some of our unresponsive depts/people are held accountable. You know how the internal customer is never high priority in some companies.

98% of the time I repy to "read recipts". There just those select few customers that expect you to jump on an email as soon as you read it. And sometimes that is not possible. I often read stuff before getting on a plane or going to a meeting and that puts me out of action for a while. So an immediate response isn't always realistic.

the other thing I wished it did was allowed me to psotpone reminders without opening the item and scrolling and pushing etc. to do so. Like my outlook.

I think I'm just too addicted. I usually don't even let my bb buzz twice before its out the holster and my thumbs at the ready.

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Not that I know anything about BES, BUT can't you keep them marked unread? or will that still send a read receipt?!?!? hmmm got me thinkin now

naviwilliams no está en línea Stack level 4

Question Re: Read Receipt

Ok, I've just tested this, and yes it does send a read receipt! Now am really mad I read this thread. All this time I was thinking that reading emails on my device would NEVER send a 'read receipt' - I have my 'client' set to NEVER send a read receipt!?! I hate when people ask for one, especially in my case, I work in IT and am prompt in replying to emails...

Now am on a mission to find a way around this...

Hmm, I wonder if I choose 'reply' or 'forward' instead of open if that would fool the device and Outlook into not thinking it's not been read...

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

But even within Outlook, if you reply or forward, the original message is marked as read/opened, and the receipt is sent.

I didn't think it was possible to override a read receipt request. ??

How about this: setup your Outlook to forward copies of emails to your @xx.BlackBerry.net address, then read those emails, and leave the BES delivered email unopened.

Somewhat redundant, but it will prevent read receipts from being sent.

jason1114 no está en línea Stack level 2

Thumbs up Re: Read Receipt

If you are in a BES using Lotus Notes/Domino read receipts are not generated from the BlackBerry when you read mail

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

jason1114, welcome to PinStack. Thanks for the information.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

jason1114 no está en línea Stack level 2

Thumbs up Re: Read Receipt

Thanks. i know most of you use outlook but im a Notes guy here to offer any help i can as well as learn myself

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by blueberrys
    Apperantly My solution I just gave to this problem has been deleted because I used a word someone was offended by. This website sucks.
    PM Sent. Includes my email address if you need to discuss further.

cheersb52 no está en línea Stack level 1

Hello everyone,
    Greatly appreciate if you can advise how to override sending theRead Confirmation. While I think one should send it, but also need to have the prompt option, just in case we cannot attend to the matter on the spot, as Navyln stated.

Thanks a million...Cheers

Fiffer010 no está en línea Stack level 1

This is how you suppress read receipts for all users on a BES 4.1.4.19. Not sure what other versions this is applicable too.

Open the registry and go to
    HLKM\software\Research In Motion\ BlackBerry Enterprise Server\ Agents

Create a Dword

Name it
    SuppressReadReceipts

Set the value to 2

0 is on
    2 is off

Please note this will take effect for all user on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server and cannot be configured on an individual user basis.”

Blackberry 8830 using The Message Center for my BES