I have an old SQL Server running on another machine that is different then the ... Server Admins forum

supanatral no está en línea Stack level 1

Quick Quesion on SQL server for BlackBerry

Advertisement

I have an old SQL Server running on another machine that is different then the one that runs BES. If I were to install a new SQL server on the local machine running BES, and transfer the databases over to it, then should it work?

Also, what would I lose if I made a new database?

Adding: When I try to change the SQL server for BES to the local computer, I get the following error: "Database server not found. Verify the product information." I'm running SQL Server 2005 and I'm running Windows Server 2003 x64. What could be the issue here?
    Last edited by supanatral; 01-03-2008 at 07:00 PM.

oconnke1 no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Quick Quesion on SQL server for BlackBerry

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I'm not a BES admin, but I know SQL Server. You reference a DB by using ODBC on the Windows Control Panel. If it was previously on a different server, open the ODBC data source and you should see the IP or DNS of the old server. Change it to localhost or navigate to the local DB instance. Test the connection via ODBC, before trying to connect via BES.

Does BES have its own backup/recovery mechanism? If not, use SQL Server backup on the old machine and recover to the new machine. Test on non-production server first. ;-)

Keith

supanatral no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Quick Quesion on SQL server for BlackBerry

Thanks oconnke1. That answers all my quesions excpet one. maybe someone else can help me there.

What does BES use SQL for? I found that i recieved emails on my blackberry even though SQL was down.