Hi, Our company has decided to get blackberry and provide our own BES server support ... Server Admins forum

fwellers no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242219FB

questions on going to bes from bis

Advertisement

Hi,
    Our company has decided to get blackberry and provide our own BES server support for all of our phones. I think we're going to get the verizon world phone ( 8830 ? ).

Currently I have an Att 8820 on BIS. I have my own apps like pocketday, opera, ideamatrix, datavault etc... I also have my own private email accounts configured to it. I also have made extensive use of the blackberry calendar and the blackberry address book.

According to our admin, when I get the new phone, I just go to a url and sign in, and the BES will do everything my phone needs to become part of our BES network.

I have some concerns and questions about all of this. I'm thinking of giving up my blackberry and just using the work provided phone. I can save money on the dataplan and even the voice plan by giving it all up. But .....

1) What will happen all the contacts and appointments ( many of them recurring ), that are in my current blackberry ? Can they be transferred and integrated to the new BES system phone ?

2) What about my other email accounts, can they be brought over to the new phone too ?

3) What about my private apps, will I be able to have them transferred or at least by new ones ?

4) ARe there any other major things I should be questioning before deciding to give up my private phone in exchange for a corporate bes phone ?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,
    Floyd
    People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.
    Peace,
    Floyd

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    1. You entries can be synced with the device switch wizard and put on your new work bb device
    2. Your private email accounts can be added as bes allows 10 personal accounts as well
    3. Your private apps can also be transfered with the device switch wixard...
    4. Everything above will be dependant on what your company sets as its IT policies... An IT policy setup can restrict everything or allow everything and can be customized to a company's desires... You will need to confirm with your it dept what restrictions they plan on imposing... For example, if they choose to restrict browsing, you won't be able to browse etc... So just confirm the it policies that will be implemented, but otherwise you should be good to go. Most companies are reasonably lenient in this regard and will most likely not restrict anything that will reduce your berry's functionality... But DO CONFIRM...

Good luck, a penny saved is always worth it...
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

PIN/ID
    242219FB
    Thanks very much for your reply.
    I appreciate it.

floyd
    People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.
    Peace,
    Floyd

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Always a pleasure... Hope u figure it all out... Personally I'd go in for the switch... Money is money, and its already tight in the recession...

Djmarbll no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219C9716
    Like reddrvgon said, you can pretty much switch everything from the old device to the new one, but make sure the company's IT policy doesn't restrict browsing or downloading apps. That can really limit the power and overall experience of your 88xx device.

PIN/ID
    242219FB
    Thanks again. This brings up another point.
    I guess my apps that I currently have, won't work on the new phone.
    I may decide to get the 8830, which is the same as I have now ( I have the 8820 ), or if they let me, I may decide to go for the curve.

I guess on the curve, my apps definitely won't work, but on the 8830 they should, but won't there be an issue with the license running on a new phone ? I am thinking I may be SOL and have to purchase my apps again for the new phone. Is that correct ( generally ) ?

Thank you,
    floyd
    Peace,
    Floyd

PIN/ID
    ask me
    You said you have the 8820 right now and the company will give you an 8830...

All your applications should work just fine on the new device...

1. Apps may beed a setting change or re download, for example, viigo has a diff version for bes and bis...
    2. Apps you've bought, if you email the app vendor, in most cases they will transfer your lisence, some may not...
    3. All devices running the same OS series will be fine for you... I believe all models you've mentioned so far run on 4.5, so you're good...

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned that I want to bring to light as well is the fact that once you're on the BES nothing is private any longer. With that in mind the BES server can track anything from your emails private or not to your text messages even down to your phone logs. You might have a free phone but remember there is a cost to that as well.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    ^^^ good point... if your IT dept wanted to, they could trace your every move...
    i see RED...