I recently purchased a Blackberry 8300 (AT&T) and subscribed to a hosted BES/Exchange services in ... Server Admins forum

lmaugustin no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

Problems w/ BES/Exhange sync of Inbox, Calendar, Contacts

Advertisement

I recently purchased a Blackberry 8300 (AT&T) and subscribed to a hosted BES/Exchange services in the hope of finally being able to keep my Inbox, Contacts, Calendar, Notes and Tasks all consistently synced across my desktop, laptop and PDA. On my desktop and laptop machines I use Outlook 2003 on Windows XP. My PDA is teh just purchased 8300 on AT&T. I am using 123Together.com as the BES/Exchange Server hosting provider and wirelessly syncing my Blackberry.

I have been running this setup for about 5 days now and have the following issues with the Blackberry that I hope someone here can help me with. I am new to the Blackberry (converting from a Treo 680) so hopefully some of these are just my own inexperience and have easy fixes.

1. I have noticed that if I move an email out of my Inbox on Outlook the email remains in my Inbox on the Blackberry. Deletion works both ways: if I delete an email from my Inbox in Outlook it's deleted from my Inbox on the Blackberry and vice-versa. That works fine. Unfortunately I generally work by moving emails to archive folders rather than deleting them so this creates a huge problem keeping my Blackberry Inbox in sync with my Outlook Inbox. Is there any way to fix this? This is pretty close to a deal breaker for me. If I can't easily keep my Inbox in sync wirelessly the device isn't terribly useful to me. (This worked fine for me on the Treo using Chattermail over IMAP.)

2. I have not been able to figure out how to automatically Bcc all sent emails on the Blackberry to an email address for archiving. My Exchange/BES hosting provider tells me there is an auto Bcc function in BES, but it's global and would have to apply to all of their hosted custiomers, not just me. Surely there is a way to do this on the Blackberry device?

3. After my calendar initially synchronized to my Blackberry, I noticed a number of calendar entries were missing. I have since traced this down to entries that overlapped on my calendar. (Again, this is all syncing wirelessly.) It appears that any place where I had multiple calendar entries that conflicted/overlapped, one of the entries did not sync. Newly created items seem to be fine. It looks like I could fix up all the existing entries by searching my calendar for all overlapping appointments and deleting/re-creating all of them. That could be very time consuming. Is this a known issue with the initial wireless sync? Will re-entering all of the entries fix this?

4. After my contacts initially synchronized to my Blackberry , I noticed that a number of contacts were missing. I have not been able to identify any pattern to the missing contacts yet but I will keep look.

I have a few more questions but these are the big ones. TIA.

Larry

jestar15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    400DD044

Re: Problems w/ BES/Exhange sync of Inbox, Calendar, Contacts

Hi Imaugustin,

1) Not sure about the BES, but with the Desktop Manager you can go to Intellisync and ensure that it is set to 'reconcile' moves and deletes, that may help.

2) On the BB, try going to Messages > Options > Email Filters, click the wheel and select New and try to create a filter that will apply to your needs.

3) Honestly not sure if recreating the appts will resolve this issue.

4) I would filter your contacts in Outlook to make sure that they all have at least a first name, last name and a company name (even if it's 'personal')

Hope this helps a little.

maximinus058 no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    240bc45e

2. I have not been able to figure out how to automatically Bcc all sent emails on the Blackberry to an email address for archiving. My Exchange/BES hosting provider tells me there is an auto Bcc function in BES, but it's global and would have to apply to all of their hosted custiomers, not just me. Surely there is a way to do this on the Blackberry device?

3. After my calendar initially synchronized to my Blackberry, I noticed a number of calendar entries were missing. I have since traced this down to entries that overlapped on my calendar. (Again, this is all syncing wirelessly.) It appears that any place where I had multiple calendar entries that conflicted/overlapped, one of the entries did not sync. Newly created items seem to be fine. It looks like I could fix up all the existing entries by searching my calendar for all overlapping appointments and deleting/re-creating all of them. That could be very time consuming. Is this a known issue with the initial wireless sync? Will re-entering all of the entries fix this?

4. After my contacts initially synchronized to my Blackberry , I noticed that a number of contacts were missing. I have not been able to identify any pattern to the missing contacts yet but I will keep look.
    Hi.
    For the BCC, depending on what version of BES their running, 4.1.3.16 allows for filter rules on specific users, its not a global config, but can be made to be one.. However, most hosted exchange people dont keep their BES upgraded to the most current version.

For the Calandar and Contacts, I guess you can do a desktop sync but this may(probably will) duplicate items that already exist. The missing items may appear but may not. Future items in the calandar should sync. Double check the options on the desktop manager for the sycn rules before trying it though, there's alot more in there than appears.

lmaugustin no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by jestar15
    Hi Imaugustin,

1) Not sure about the BES, but with the Desktop Manager you can go to Intellisync and ensure that it is set to 'reconcile' moves and deletes, that may help.

2) On the BB, try going to Messages > Options > Email Filters, click the wheel and select New and try to create a filter that will apply to your needs.

3) Honestly not sure if recreating the appts will resolve this issue.

4) I would filter your contacts in Outlook to make sure that they all have at least a first name, last name and a company name (even if it's 'personal')

Hope this helps a little.
    Thanks for the feedback.

1. I still have no solution to the "move" verses "delete" option. But for now instead of doing a move on the desktop I do a copy plus a delete. It's two steps, but it keeps the BB in sync.

2. With respect to calendar items, I went through my calendar manually for any conflicting appointments and deleted and then re-added them manually. There does not seem to be a problem adding new appointments that conflict, it was just the initial sync with existing appointments. I think I am OK for the future but this is something BB should be aware of if it's a general problem. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

3. For contacts, making sure every contact has a first name, last name, and company name, then eliminating duplicates seems to be the solution. I also ran a script over my contacts to make sure everything in Outlook/Exchange is filed as "Last Name, First Name, Company". This seems to have helped as well. I'm still not sure exactly which contacts were not synced, but a blank company name seems to be a factor. (Thanks jestar15 for the hint on Company Name.) I probably should do a wipe and re-initialize to see if this has truly fixed the problem, but I don't want to have to re-create all my other settings just to test this. Again, if I had known that the BB/BES had a problem with this I would have cleaned my contacts prior to syncing. I have not seen this mentioned as an issue anywhere.

4. For auto BCC, I have not had a chance to look for a solution, but with respect to filters my understanding that those were limitied to filtering email to the BB. i.e. filters only apply to incoming email, and can only selct "Forward" or "do not forward" as their actions. So all they are only filters on incoming email. What I would like to do is add to all outgoing mail a "BCC" header that sends all outgoing email to a place for archiving. I'm still surprised this isn't an easily configurable option. I've had it available on every email client from Windows to Unix to Linux to Palm I've used for a long time. Even the venerable Unix command-line "mail" program has an autobcc option in the .mailrc configuration file!

I will look into creating a filter that will do this.