Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am new to bb world. I downloaded Blackberry enterprise server (express) last night and ... Server Admins forum

mqasim no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20508e6b

Problem with BES (Urgent Help needed)

Advertisement

I am new to bb world. I downloaded Blackberry enterprise server (express) last night and I have also gotten BES activated from my carrier. I am currently using Microsoft Exchange Server 2003, with windows 2003 enterprise installed on the server.

The problem I am now facing is that I cannot add a user. When I try to add one it says initializing and keeps stuck on that. Could someone please explain how to configuire it step by step?

I did some research on it and found out the error is given due to encryption not being assigned or something like that. I am totally unaware of anything like that so could someone please explain..

Best would be if someone could maybe add me on blackberry messenger so I maybe he can instruct me step by step and I can also tell him what issues I am facing.

Thank You,

garycutri no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Problem with BES (Urgent Help needed)

When you add a new user to a BES server it say "initializing" until you activate the user. The two methods you can use to activate a user are Wireless and Cabled. To do a wireless activation click on the username in the BES server and you will see the properties listed below, from this properties window select "Service Access" and "Set Activation Password". Once you have set an activation password from your device go to "Enterprise Activation" and enter the users email address and enter the password you just set on the server. Once you have entered the details press the trackwheel and select "Activate".

The second method is a cabled activation which is done also by selecting the username on the BES but this time you select "Device Management" from the properties window. All you need to do now is connect your BlackBerry device to your server via the USB cable provided and press "Assign Device" on the BES server in the Device Management menu. On selecting Assign device you will see your devices PIN listed to which you highlight and press OK. You device will then activate.

Let us know how you go with these instructions and post back if you need further assistance.
    Blackberry Support Forums - Asia Pacific
    www.blackberryforums.com.au

oppiTronic no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2529ab95

...and be sure you have set the rights for the BES Admin account correct in Exchange (send as rights in AD AND mailbox)

PIN/ID
    20508e6b

I am going to my office in the morning to try and run it. Firstly when I open my bes express I get some kind of an error. Don't remember what it says? It would be very helpful if someone could maybe shed some light on it

Another problem is when the program is opened on the left hand site my exchange server is listed, but it starts with https when we use http. Can I change that?

Thirdly when I click on the icon on the left (again not sure which one since at home right now*) it shows me a pictur of two devices with a wire connecting them. It says it is not available for some reason. What could I do for that?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    20508e6b

Oppitronic thanks for your advice but I'm not sure what you mean by 'you have set the rights for the BES admin account' if I remember correctly I did not make any such account. Do I have to make that account before I add a user, if so where exactly do I have to make it? On the exchange server? And how do I set the rights properly?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

The "https" item you are referring to is MDS, this connection problem you mentioned is a common issue. Let us know what your server configuration is and I will write an easy to follow install guide for you.

amoham3 no está en línea Stack level 2

just to get the email working is it important to correct the mds issue. or is for companies running bb application

The version of MDS you installed is for running custom applications such as items created using MDS Studio.

In BlackBerry Manager, you cannot connect to BlackBerry MDS Services using Hypertext Transfer Protocol over Secure Sockets Layer (HTTPS).

The BlackBerry Manager log displays the following:

[20000] (09/18 14:42:40.678):{0x1EE8} CMDSAGView: Bad hResult, -2147467261 - Object reference not set to an instance of an object., from AG web service call MDSAGAdminMgmt(testWsAccess - getServerStatus. Asking user to get SSL certificate.)
    [30000] (09/18 14:42:44.100):{0x2758} Bad hResult 0x80004003, at mdsagview.cpp line 376, from AG call CMDSAGView::PrepareData - getServerStatus, source - MDSAGAdminMgmt, error - Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    [40000] (09/18 14:42:46.350):{0x1A38} [rimdevicemanagementimpl::ThreadProc] Destroying RIMDeviceMonitor

Cause
    The default.jks key store does not contain the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the BlackBerry MDS Services for the AG Tomcat alias.

Resolution
    To resolve this problem, complete the following steps:

Important: This procedure uses the keytool key and certificate management utility. The keytool utility is not created or supported by Research In Motion (RIM). For more information on the keytool utility, go to keytool-Key and Certificate Management Tool.

1. Use the keytool utility to delete existing certificate for the Tomcat alias from the default.jks file. For example, type keytool -delete -alias tomcat -keystore default.jks

2. Type changeme for the key store password.

3. Use the keytool utility to create and import a self-signed certificate to the default.jks file. Make sure to use the FQDN of the computer running the BlackBerry MDS Service as the computer name. For example, type keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA -keystore default.jks -storepass changeme -dname "CN=<FQDN>, OU=Adv. Tech Group, O=Research In Motion, L=Waterloo, ST=ON, C=CA"

4. Type the key password for the Tomcat alias, or simply press ENTER if the password is the same as the key store password.

5. Restart the BlackBerry MDS Service.

6. Open BlackBerry Manager and install the certificate.

Is your Mail/BES server also a domain controller?

yes it is a domain controller. I just want to get the email working I am using BES express wiht exchange, I have added 1 user account. I dont want to run custom applications. just need to sync my email with my bb so do I need to connect with the mds service

Gary's Blackberry 4.1 install guide for BES on a Domain Controller

1. Ensure the port 3101 TCP is open on the firewall (Outbound ONLY).

2. Create a new user called BESadmin and ensure you create a mailbox. Ensure this user is ONLY a member of "Domain users"

3. Make BESadmin a local Administrator of the server. This is done in AD via the "Built-in" Administrators group

4. Go to Admin Tools on open "Domain Controller Security Policy" and expand the "Local Policies" and "User Right Assignment". You need to add BESadmin to "Log on Locally" and "log on as Service".

5. Open Exchange System Manager and right mouse click on "DOMIANNAME (Exchange)" and select Delegate Control. Follow the steps and add BESadmin as an Exchange View Only Administrator.

6. In Exchange manager expand the servers folder and right mouse click on your server and select properties. On the properties windows select BESadmin and add the permissions "Administer Mailbox Store, Receive As, Send As"

7. Open Active Directory and from the View menu select "Advanced Features". Then go to each user that will be added to the BES and open their properties, go to the security tab and add the user BESadmin and add the security permission "Send As". (This will overcome some MS patches that prevent BES sending emails)

8. Log on as BESadmin and install the BES software, normally you just install "BlackBerry Enterprise Server" as most sites don't use the MDS services (MDS is a much heavier install). Follow the prompts of the install and the server will be required to restart half way through the install. Restart the server and log back on as BESadmin and the install will continue. (Make sure the Connect Test works and the SRP ID etc is validated during the install)

9. After the install is finished open BlackBerry Manager, an error will appear about MAPI client which you can just hit OK. The MAPI setting windows will appear so just add the server name back in and select "Check Name", if it resolves just hit OK and the manager will start.

10. Within Blackberry Manager click on Blackberry Domain in the left column and then the users SERVERS tab in the centre section, select your server within this tab and view the properties below. Ensure that "SRP Status:" is Connected (This can take a few minutes the first time so refresh the screen a few times). Once your status is connected you can start adding users.

11. Within Blackberry Manager click on you server name in the left column and then the users TAB in the centre section, just add a user and the click on that user. You will see all the users’ properties and a drop down menu called "Service Access” and select “Set Activation Password” and set a password of “a” for example.

12. Turn on you BlackBerry device and ensure Wireless is enabled. Go into “Options/Settings” and “Time & Date” and set the correct zone and time etc. Then from the home screen go to enterprise activation and enter the users email address and enter the password that was set in step 10. Press the track wheel and select Activate. Within a minute you should get data returned which indicates the process is functioning correct.

Extra

a. Also ensure you review the IT Policy in BlackBerry Manager. This can be found in BlackBerry Domain > Global TAB > Edit properties. It is recommended that in the IT Policy you go into “Device Only Items” and set “Enable WAP config” to FALSE, this will force user to use the free browser (It uses the internet connection of your BES server)

b. If you are unable to activate devices wirelessly you can test your connectivity to Blackberry buy running the following app from the command prompt:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Utility\BBSrpTest.exe

This will send a signal to BB and wait for a response, it this fails check your firewall settings (open and/or direct port 3101 TCP to you BES server)

c. If you have Domain Admins using BlackBerry devices you may have to run the following script if you are unable to send email for those users devices:

dsacls "cn=adminsdholder,cn=system,dc=domainname,dc=c om " /G "DOMAINNAME\BESadmin:CA;Send As"

thanks all seems clear i will try it

thanks a lot all worked well. Emails, calender working well. I have activated bb using usb wire do I still need to put in the password in my bb enterprise activation.

I am still not be able to sync my address book wirelessly

Did it transfer your contacts during the activation process? How are you determining that your contacts are working? If you let me know what/how you tested and can give further advice. Also check the options on your handheld within contacts to see if wireless sync is enabled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast