I have implemented all of the suggestions in this thread . Good information. I have ... Server Admins forum

cbbyers no está en línea Stack level 1

Privacy questions

Advertisement

I have implemented all of the suggestions in this thread. Good information. I have a few questions, though.

Device: Pearl 8100 through T-Mobile with BES

My 8100 is a personal device which is connected through my company's BES. I am trying to determine how the Google applications, OZ Instant Messenger client (the one from TMO which supports AIM, ICQ, MSN and Yahoo), and BB Messenger connect.

I have my mail and web traffic sorted, but I don't know of a way to confirm that the following use my Mobile carrier's network as opposed to BES/MDS. I don't want any of my device's instant messaging or web features to connect using BES/MDS.

My questions:

1. Does BB Messenger route through BES? I am assuming no.
    2. Does the OZ mulit-messenger client from TMO connect through BES?
    3. Do the Google clients, such as Google maps and mail (obtained from mobile.google.com) use BES in any manner?

If there is a way to completely disable MDS on my device, that would be what I am after. I only want to use the BES for access to exchange and have all other traffic use the T-Mobile network.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Privacy questions

cbbyers, Welcome to PinStack.

You might try to set the TCP settings for your TMO, You can find the settings in this thread, TCP, APN, WAP, Gateway and Port Carrier Settings. But remember you agreed to comply with your company IT policies when you asked to be put on the BES. Be careful of what you do and don't violate any policy, it could have unwanted results for you. Also your BB admins have probably pushed an IT policy to protect, which may limit what you can do.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I will also add this: since you are on BES, nothing on your BlackBerry is "private".

The BES has the ability to track and monitor anything and everything on your BlackBerry.

Don't get confused in terms such as carrier network vs MDS.

The MDS merely enables your BlackBerry to access the intranet of your company. It can also provide internet access as well.

But whether you use MDS or Internet browser, the BES knows!

For instance: phone calls and SMS, one would assume have nothing to do with with BES, but this assumption is incorrect!

I have had four devices, and with each BES activation, all my SMS and phone call logs are restored OTA; the BES tracks everything and knows everything!

skip00319 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23d051c6

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Good lord Lewis, are you saying that the BES is like BIG BROTHER. But I thought that was just an urban ledgend.

zyphbear no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    242ac794

Quote Originally Posted by cbbyers
    My questions:

1. Does BB Messenger route through BES? I am assuming no.
    2. Does the OZ mulit-messenger client from TMO connect through BES?
    3. Do the Google clients, such as Google maps and mail (obtained from google) use BES in any manner?
    1) assuming wrong, yes. it does. it's routed either through PIN or email, both are viewable via BES.
    2) again, wrong. OZ messenger mostly uses SMS, which again, is viewable via your BES.
    3) this one has been disputed some. supposdly IM's (gtalk) are able to be viewed via BES since it's sent as plain text, but some have said the others are just seen as "data traffic".