Just curious... Server Admins forum

ellandry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CA1371

Is it possible to upgrade OS but not have to get my BES reactivated by my employer?

Advertisement

Just curious

Krad no está en línea Stack level 3
    if your able to sync with desktop manager on your network, then when you sync the desktop manager it will recreate everything, and if you have a later version, will automatically enable autosync over the air.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Is it possible to upgrade OS but not have to get my BES reactivated by my employe

Actually, I'm pretty sure that if you perform the update (use Desktop Manager 4.2 SP1), by default it will perform a full backup and restore of everything and you shouldn't miss a beat.

I have to admit I've never done it that way (I support 3,000+ BlackBerries in the Northeast Region). I try to convince the user to loose any email already on their device to avoid a backup which can take over an hour. and I usually just re-activate over the network as Krad suggested.

And backing up and restoring just the messages doesn't work well either because the device won't have any messages that the BlackBerry gets between the Backup and the Restore. The reason the Backup/Restore done during an upgrade works is because no emails arrive once the device is backed up, and can't arrive on the device until after it's restored. You just can't do that with a manual backup.
    JerryD

witherjm no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Is it possible to upgrade OS but not have to get my BES reactivated by my employer?

Did it, works fine, no complaints from IT yet

SureType no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Is it possible to upgrade OS but not have to get my BES reactivated by my employer?

I did it using DM 4.1 with no problems. I also went back to my original OS.

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

I did it on 9 BB's @ work and had to reactivate them all. I also took them from 3.x OS to 4.x. I don't know if that had anything to do with it but, I had to reactivate them all. I had also updated the BES about 2 weeks before that too.

gnab01 no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    23F21180

I'd have to say no, also. Every time I've tried it, it restores everything, but won't sync with the BES, so I end up re-activating, anyway. If they don't take you out of the server, the only downside to reactivating is you won't have the older emails on your device. All of your settings, wallpaper, theme, etc, should be restored.

casianoa Guest

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~from my experience what Krad said is correct. Upgrade and the sync your bb using desktop manager. It will begin the activation for you again. That's how it has worked for me in the past (three times)