Hi all, Here's another policy question. I can send a password policy to a device, ... Server Admins forum

Gman1108 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Just ask

Policies & Passwords

Advertisement

Hi all,

Here's another policy question.

I can send a password policy to a device, but can I actually specify the password I want the user to use?

Thanks

saukrateaz no está en línea Stack level 3
    If you want to lock a hand held (wirelessly through BES) you can specify the password
    however I do not believe you can specify the password if you are just enforcing a password policy.
    "When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world."
    -George Washington Carver

PIN/ID
    Just ask
    Thanks,

I need to set a policy that will force the hand held to lock after about 10 minutes of inactivity.

To unlock the hand held will need to enter a password.

Is this something that i deploy from the BES and would you give me a quick pointer as to where to look please?

Thanks for helpling.

While in BES open your IT Policies and choose Password policy group.
    That is where you can set the time limit of inactivity before the device locks.
    "When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world."

PIN/ID
    Just ask
    OK, i see that.

But, can I specify the password that I want the user to use to unlock the handheld?

Id like to give them a password to use that only me and the user knows, I'd rather they didn't all create their own passwords as I'll have fun n games getting them to remember the password.

I think we're nearly there...

Thanks.

I have not found where you can specify the password unless you are setting it to locked yourself.

PIN/ID
    Just ask
    When you say setting it to locked yourself, what do you mean?

That might be all i need.

dodgydaveace no está en línea Stack level 1

oops

just bought a blackberry curve 8310 smartphone from a colleague he gave me the phone and told me the password was 1513 i put my sim card in and this worked fine then i installed the disc onto my computer( user tools) did this fine then connected the two up via usb port and it asked me for device password i typed in 1513 on both my phone and laptop and it wont let me in i have attempted this 9 times now im scared of locking it can anybody help and tell me how to fix this?

slideaway no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman1108 View Post
    When you say setting it to locked yourself, what do you mean?

That might be all i need.
    Not sure if you got your answer yet but...

You cannot specify a password in the policy but after you assign the policy to the user you can (In the BES Manager) right-click the user and select Set Password and Lock Handheld.

At that point put in the password that only you and this person will know. Whoever has the device will just have to unlock it once the command reaches the device.

Hope that helps.

slideaway no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgydaveace View Post
    just bought a blackberry curve 8310 smartphone from a colleague he gave me the phone and told me the password was 1513 i put my sim card in and this worked fine then i installed the disc onto my computer( user tools) did this fine then connected the two up via usb port and it asked me for device password i typed in 1513 on both my phone and laptop and it wont let me in i have attempted this 9 times now im scared of locking it can anybody help and tell me how to fix this?
    Assuming the password he gave you is correct, you should only have to type it on the computer when prompted, not on the device while its connected via usb.

Does the password work when you lock the device and its not connect to the computer?

Are you entering 1513 on the keypad? If so, is the Num Lock on?