Just wanted to share the experience I had with upgrading BES from 4.0 to 4.1.4 ... Server Admins forum

GazN no está en línea Stack level 2

Plight of a BES upgrade.

Advertisement

Just wanted to share the experience I had with upgrading BES from 4.0 to 4.1.4 - ...
    Infrastructure

MS Exchange 2003
    2 BES servers (1 temp SRP / 1 SRP)
    Both running at 4.0 / shared SQL database
    79 CALS currrently in use

Begin by backing up the RIM registry keys / log files and the Database.....
    Run the 4.1 software (in place upgrade over the top of 4.0)...update database schema....tested and all working.....

Apply SP4 to upgrade..... tested, all ok.
    Apply Maintenance Patch for SP4 .. all ok

the point of no return now, taking down server with permanent SRP and changing the temp SRP.... It Failed..... I know that you cant have two boxes with the ame SRP online - somehow managed to lockout the original box - in touch with RIM to resolve from their end

now unable to send mail from handsets, receive, browse internet....

Both servers now online, and resending the service book to the handheld did not help (the handheld SRP and server SRP were not matching up) Had to migrate the users back to the old 4.0 server, resend the service book, then re-migrate to 4.1.4 - this resolved the problems.

Restarted the MDS service for BES which sorted the Internet browsing....

Now need to find out why the key was not successful..... hope that this helps, and I shall post my findings....

simonminshall no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2068A03C

Re: Plight of a BES upgrade.

Are the two BES Servers sharing the same BESMgmt Database or the same SQL Instance. Either way, its BESSERVERA for Database A and BESSERVER B to Database B. You cannot share the database, especially if you are using the same BES MAPI Profile. My suggestion would be to have a seperate service account per bes instance and a seperate database per BES Server.
    Simon Minshall
    Mobile Data Consultant
    www.mobileguy.co.uk
    0844 8845474

GazN no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Plight of a BES upgrade.

Apologies, should have stated that I was migrating to new hardware, and performing upgrade to 4.1.4