Newbie here I am just about my wit's end with this problem and I could ... Server Admins forum

danewbie no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Please help! Another 'Desktop email program unable to submit message'

Advertisement

Newbie here I am just about my wit's end with this problem and I could really use some help! I've searched high and low for three days now, trying several things I've seen in various posts but I still get that evil red X when I try to send an email from my corporate account on my BB!

Environment: BB 8830 v4.2.2.66 (Platform 3.0.0.45); BES Express 4.1.4.15, Exchange 2003 SP2, Store.exe version 6.5.7652.24

Some History: Followed the Installation ToolKit to a 'T', ran into a few snags here and there but after a day or so it working where I was receiving my email perfectly, things were syncing perfectly, and I could send from my device. Later that night I had the need to reply to an email when I got this message the first time. After a day of troubleshooting I discovered the problem of the disappearing permissions (yes I'm a domain admin and must use this account for email). So I followed the suggested fix (setting the permisson on the AdminSDHolder object) and lo and behold the permission stuck! However, I am back to not being able to send from my device and I get the cursed "Desktop email program unable to submit message" error again! I check my Even Viewer and see two entries where it shows Event ID 20000 and 20265 stating the submit failed.

I've searched again high and lo and came across some very helpful tips in this forum. The latest and greatest was to try the SetSendAsPermission.exe tool. I did just that yet I get a success when I run it. However, I still can't send from my device. Also, I log into my exchange email account with the bes service account - it lets me in fine, but when I try to send an email it throws an error stating that the item was moved or deleted (through OWA).

So I went through all the steps in the Installation Toolkit and triple checked everything. I also followed the special tasks for Blackberry enterprise server in MSFT's KB 912918. I stopped the BB Router for 3 hours, turned it back on and tried to send an email from the device. This time - NO RED X!!! The message appeared to be sending, then it disappeared! However, a few minutes later the message was right back in my mailbox with that darn red X again.

All this kind of makes me miss my Treo - even though it crashed often, and I had it replaced 6 times!! In any case won't someone save me from pulling out my hair and going bald? Is there anyone that can help me or at least point me in the right direction?? :cry:

Thanks in advance!

maximinus058 no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    240bc45e

Re: Please help! Another 'Desktop email program unable to submit message'

seems like the send as permission, make sure the AD user has Besadmin(or whatever you named the BES user) send as/ receive as permission.
    I've tried using the send as tool as well during the infamous Daylight savings upgrades but it never worked. Manually adding the permissions alwasys worked however.
    good luck

Quote Originally Posted by maximinus058
    seems like the send as permission, make sure the AD user has Besadmin(or whatever you named the BES user) send as/ receive as permission.
    I've tried using the send as tool as well during the infamous Daylight savings upgrades but it never worked. Manually adding the permissions alwasys worked however.
    good luck
    Thanks for the reply. I only used that tool to test the permissions - I did not use it to actually set the permissions. I had set the permissions manually prior to using the test.

I received my AD as a hand me down, and I swear the person administering this stuff before me should never have been allowed near a computer, let alone a server! In any case, I went through every container and every object in my AD and reset all security permissions back to the Default (via the Advanced Security). I restarted both my Information Store and my Blackberry Services.

Then I went in and did the following:
    1) Removed my user account from domain admins (just for testing purposes)
    2) Granted the BES service account Send As permissions on the AdminSDHolder object (because I will at some point need to add my account back to being a domain admin)
    3) Granted the BES service account Send As permission to my domain user account.

At this point I was able to send, reply, forward emails from my device. I then went back in and added myself back to the domain admin group. I restarted the information store, stopped the blackberry router service, waited 20 minutes and started the router service again. Once again I was unable to send from my device.

Hope this help shed more light on the issue. My user account has to be a domain admin, and I really need to try to keep the same user account for my mail. Has anyone else had this much problems with it?

Oh my lord how frustrating! Nothing has changed since my last post other than I took myself out of the Admin group temporarily until someone here had a chance to look at my post and possibly make some other suggestions. Now an hour later, I am once again unable to send!

I've restarted the Blackberry server, the permissions are still there - they have not disappeared (as expected since I'm no longer part of the domain admin group).... this is so upsetting, please help! :cry:

Thanks in advance!!

lorstrand no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Re: Please help! Another 'Desktop email program unable to submit message'

I feel your pain. i had the same problem and struggled for many hours - tried everything that you have. finally found the resolution - search for MS KB907434 -The "Send As" right is removed from a user object after you configure the "Send As" right in the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in in Exchange Server
    after a replication the problem was resolved and has not happened since...good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by lorstrand
    I feel your pain. i had the same problem and struggled for many hours - tried everything that you have. finally found the resolution - search for MS KB907434 -The "Send As" right is removed from a user object after you configure the "Send As" right in the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in in Exchange Server
    after a replication the problem was resolved and has not happened since...good luck!
    lorstrand, thanks for the post. However, that's not the issue. As I had mentioned in my previous post I did come across the issue of the disappearing permissions and I did get that resolved. Up until my last point it seemed that no matter what if my email account was a domain admin I had problems sending even though all send as permissions were set and after replication were setill present, and all suggested KB articles/test/etc were successful.

All weekend I kept my account out of the domain admin group and all weekend I was once again able to send emails. Just this morning I added myself back into the admin group, restarted the Exchange Store and stopped the Blackberry Router service for 20 minutes. So far I am still able to send - but we'll see. Truthfully the problem itself is so inconsistent that it makes finding a permanent resolution difficult. And the fact that I don't know there is a problem until at random times I go to respond to an email makes it even harder to anticipate.

I've just stopped the Blackberry router service again and I'm going to leave it off for a couple of hours so I am certain the cache clears. After a few hours I'll start it back up again and see if I have problems sending again. Thanks.

lorstrand no está en línea Stack level 1

that sux! good luck with it

So after all this I added myself back into the admin group and for a whole 24 hours I have been able to send mail with no problem. Thanks for your posts... although I am not quite sure what happened or why its working. This isn't an open issue any more but if anyone has some insight on the whacky behavior I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

maximinus058 no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    240bc45e

sorry with the late responce. not sure if your even looking at this..

i actually made a call to Blackberry not too long ago on this issue. from what they told me, the security that goes with ANY administrative group, not just admin, has been known to strip the permission. The only work around was to remove domain security. now being a domain admin, i'm very reluctant to do that and have delt with this as is..
    sorry for not having more info.