hi all -
so i read through a previous thread on a non-syncing address book ... Server Admins forum
please help!!! Address book sync issue
hi all -
so i read through a previous thread on a non-syncing address book but all those things have been tried already...
i am actually the blackberry user and my poor IT guys have been dealing with this for weeks so i thought maybe i could help and find a resolution to this issue.
i have had multiple devices over the last 3 years and we have never had an issue. a few weeks ago, the IT guys tried to upgrade my phone...everything seemed to be working except i didnt have any contacts in my address book on the phone (we use outlook and are a large company with many users), my personal address book has about 250 contacts in it, so nothing extreme....when i asked them about this they looked at it and it hadnt completed its sync for some reason. it had gotten to about 60%. over the next few days we got more enterprise activation passwords and everytime it would stop, even if left untouched for a 24hour period. the IT guys have talked to the carrier and they have reset my account as well as to corporate IT and they have apparently reset my account internally as well. in the past couple of weeks we have tried 2 different phones and 2 different sim cards (these were previously used). we ordered a new phone and sim card which came in this week. no matter what we do the phone would stop at between 30% and 60% - and it alternated as to what was working and what wasnt. at some times my address book came it at other my calendar came in - email has always worked.
corporate though that it had something to do with my calendar. i cleaned up my calendar (i.e. deleted almost everything) and removed about 30 old contacts as well. so, the bb will now completely activate, says everything is good until...i go to my address book. it is showing 0!!!
does anyone have ANY ideas at all ....because we are at a loss!!
thank you so much~!
Are you in an Exchange/Outlook environment?
If it is hanging at 60% its not calendar or address book causing it...it is most likely and issue with your mailbox on the exchange side. Make sure they have removed your account from the BES and make sure they choose the option to "Remove all blackberry information". They can also try disabling wireless synchronization to get you through the activation and then re-enable it on the bes. Once it is re-enabled it should push down your data.
yes, i am pretty sure we are...
Has your IT dept. checked the BES logs? Have you tried doing a hardwire sync via the desktop manager? Check to see if you have any odd entries in your address book. Sometimes you need both first and last fields setup. I've seen this cause an issue once or twice at my place.
The reason the address book is not coming accross is because the activation is not completing. The address book does not get synchronized until approximately the 96%-100% range of the activation. Therefore if it is hanging at 60% it has not even thought about the address book. Something else is hanging it up more then likely. Jrockett does have a good point though. If you disable wireless sync and then activate, once you have activated do a sync of your data via desktop manager and then re-enable wireless synchronization this may work.
to anwser a couple of questions -
we did try a hard sync, i left it over night and that didnt work either. still got stuck, but i havent tried that with the new phone i got last week.
i did clear out about 40 old addresses but that didnt seem to do it. (i will check the first and last fields on all that remain).
it is telling me that its activated (since i cleaned my calendar it activates) but the address doesnt come in. neither my personal address book or the company wide one (using the search feature) - neither appears.
we tried turning the wireless sync off for the calendar but there is no wireless sync on/off for the address book on the curve 8310 - at least that i have seen.
thanks for all your help out there!!!!
Well that option isnt device specific it is specific to your setup on the BES. Do you have a Desktop [SYNC] service book. If not you need to have your admins try to resend your service books. Also if it doesn't come in after this then they may not have the wireless sync enabled.
Originally Posted by kopellimonster
i do have the Desktop [SYNC] service book, because under a different but similair thread i saw that someone said to delete and then undelete it. i tried that and it did work.
i will take all the comments to my IT guys and see what they think.
Tags for this Thread