One of my users recently upgraded to an 8820 from an 8700c, and after I ... Server Admins forum

BarnesIT no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Multiple

PIM Sync was not set up correctly. Help plz.

Advertisement

One of my users recently upgraded to an 8820 from an 8700c, and after I had already configured her new device, I realized that her PIM sync information was never entered when the first device was activated. The contacts that she saved on her 8700 never synced with Lotus, and now that I've already done the EA for her 8820, I dont see a way to sync her 100+ contacts without wiping them out. Any ideas are much appreciated.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: PIM Sync was not set up correctly. Help plz.

Assuming you haven't wiped the 8700, do a full backup of it - AND a full backup of her contacts in Notes (because I'm not sure what this will do to those!).

You can then do a selective restore of just her Address Book on her new BlackBerry at which point it should sync up with the Notes address book and merge the two. If it doesn't, just restore the Notes backup at which point you should be fine.

To do the selective restore, start the Backup/Restore app, then click the [Advanced] button and select only Address Book to restore. (In fact, you may even be able to do just a selective backup of the address book only in the same way).
    JerryD

PIN/ID
    Multiple

Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala View Post
    Assuming you haven't wiped the 8700, do a full backup of it - AND a full backup of her contacts in Notes (because I'm not sure what this will do to those!).

You can then do a selective restore of just her Address Book on her new BlackBerry at which point it should sync up with the Notes address book and merge the two. If it doesn't, just restore the Notes backup at which point you should be fine.

To do the selective restore, start the Backup/Restore app, then click the [Advanced] button and select only Address Book to restore. (In fact, you may even be able to do just a selective backup of the address book only in the same way).

I didn't wipe the 8700 yet thankfully...usually I would the second I get them back in. That was the problem in the first place. She never saved any contacts to notes, only to the blackberry. Since PIMsync wasnt set up, it never replicated. Since using her 8820 she has saved 6 contacts that have been sync'd to notes. In order to have a backup replicate to the BES, wouldn't I need to do an EA on the 8700 first? And wouldn't that also replace the old contacts she has with the much shorter new contact list?

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by BarnesIT View Post
    I didn't wipe the 8700 yet thankfully...usually I would the second I get them back in. That was the problem in the first place. She never saved any contacts to notes, only to the blackberry. Since PIMsync wasnt set up, it never replicated. Since using her 8820 she has saved 6 contacts that have been sync'd to notes. In order to have a backup replicate to the BES, wouldn't I need to do an EA on the 8700 first? And wouldn't that also replace the old contacts she has with the much shorter new contact list?
    Well, like I said in the first place, back up her Notes contacts then you don't have to worry. However, once the addresses from the 8700 have been restored to the 8820, the two address books (8820 and Notes) should synchronize with each other and merge the contacts.

You may want to turn Wireless Sync off on the BlackBerry during the restore, that way it shouldn't think it's supposed to delete the old Notes entries.

However, worst case scenario, you restore the 8700 Address Book to the 8820 and it deletes all the Notes contacts and then syncs the 8700 entries (now on the 8820) back to Notes, you then just copy the contacts from the Notes backup back into Notes, and you have everything.
    JerryD

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

One method might be to create a new notes Account profile on a desktop (not on the BES), sync the 8700 to it using the Export setting in the configure sync of Desktop Manager. Now sync that back to the 8820 using the sync function using desktop manager with wireless sync turned off. Now turn Wireless sync back on.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

PIN/ID
    Multiple

Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala View Post
    Well, like I said in the first place, back up her Notes contacts then you don't have to worry. However, once the addresses from the 8700 have been restored to the 8820, the two address books (8820 and Notes) should synchronize with each other and merge the contacts.

You may want to turn Wireless Sync off on the BlackBerry during the restore, that way it shouldn't think it's supposed to delete the old Notes entries.

However, worst case scenario, you restore the 8700 Address Book to the 8820 and it deletes all the Notes contacts and then syncs the 8700 entries (now on the 8820) back to Notes, you then just copy the contacts from the Notes backup back into Notes, and you have everything.
    Ah, forgot about wireless sync.

Worked like a charm, Thank you.