I understand how to disable the phone with our BES, and how to hide the ... Server Admins forum

slahm no está en línea Stack level 1

Phone Removal

Advertisement

I understand how to disable the phone with our BES, and how to hide the icon, but is there a way to remove the phone module? The option is greyed out for me in device manager.

Our staff get data only devices, but we invariably get calls from the fire dept, or police when they accidentally phone 911 etc. by sitting on the phones.

Is there a way to avoid this?

Thanks

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    You could probably physically delete the .cod file(s) for the phone from the loader files. Not sure which one(s) would need to go though.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Shared\Loader Files\Java.

There are several .cod files that read something like net_rim_bb_phone_xxx.cod.

As I said, though, I have no idea which if any of these would actually disable the phone. If you have a dummy phone you can experiment on, that would probably be your best bet.

Physically delete those files from that folder, then when you go into Desktop Manager>Application Loader>Add / Remove Applications it should inform you that those will be removed from the device.

dgburns no está en línea Stack level 3
    Wow, I would be seriously worried about the potential liability of issuing someone. "pho e" but disabling its ability to dial 911. Imagine if some were in an accident or being sexually assaulted or home invasion or something and all they can get a hand on is your device. I sure wouldn't want to be the one that did the disabling. Heck, even an old cell phone with no service plan can still call 911.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Sounds like they are issuing these devices to their employees for data only, not intending them to be used for voice, in which case you would hope that they would recommend carrying the personal cell devices for alternate communications!

slahm no está en línea Stack level 1
    Yes, we provide our employees with a two way data device to communicate with OUR business ONLY. I cannot imagine that Purolator employees get email on their package scanners, and you cannot phone with our data devices. They are not Phones as given by us.

If they want a cell phone, they will have to go and get one somewhere else.

We are in Canada - not so many lawsuits - heh.

As most of you admins will know, you put a few hundred phones in the field, and corporate head office starts to get phone calls from the police, asking if the person at 250-555-1212 is ok, as they dialed 911, etc.

We have had the Fire dept. Lights and sirens blazing show up! Weird eh?

There is a fee for enough false/erroneous calls here, and I am trying to avoid it, and save the time for the real emergencies.

If I remove the Phone API, the berries will not boot. Any other suggestions?

Gman1108 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Just ask
    How about using an IT Policy? I'm sure you can barr outgoing calls.

Let me know if you want me to check this out further for you as I'm nowhere near a PC right now.

Hope this helps.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~