Our organization is coming to a crossroads of sorts, and there is significant discussion about ... Server Admins forum

wellsm no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Personal Devices on BES - what are your policies?

Advertisement

Our organization is coming to a crossroads of sorts, and there is significant discussion about whether and how we will allow users to connect their personal Blackberry devices to our BES.

Of course, significant reasons not to include storing our data on a device we do not control, users sharing passwords with family members, and what to do when a user parts company with us.

Those in the "allow" camp are saying that we just put together a document of do's and don'ts and have the users sign and agree to our restrictions and standard IT policy. If they leave, we wipe the device.

What do you do in your organization? Do you allow personal devices? Do you give them a different IT policy? What do your IT Policies consist of? How do you handle support? Who pays for the service and for BES CALs? What happens when a user leaves?

*( I have found a few similar posts already on the board - I was hoping this thread would be more comprehensive )

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    I do not allow personal devices on our BES, specifically because I do not want to have to be responsible for the upkeep, in the sense of reactivating users after they do stuff to their device, etc.

We are also not going to pay the additional fee for additional CAL's for Exchange. You do get into lots of "gray" areas with personal devices on a company BES. Especially if you have proprietary information on the devices, a "do's & dont's" agreement truly prevents nothing.

If email is what they want, they can use the OWA and add email to their phone without having to physically be on the BES. It would require them to be on Exchange though, of course.
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    We do not allow it and I would not recommend it.
    It is bad practice and imposes corporate rules on the person personal device.
    If your corporation wantes users to have BB's then they should purchase and then they can be on BES. Mine is not on BES and I use OWA to get my email. This does not impose policies on it or restrict usage.

bga123 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Our company does allow personal devices on BES, assuming of course that there is a business need and has manager approval. IT policies restrict certain tasks, for example no access to intranets (true for all BBerry's not just personal devices). This protects us from viruses. We also require passwords and retain the ability to wipe the handset should the employee leave.

The benefits to us as a company are greater than the additional support costs associated with supporting the additional devices.

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    What is owa please explain. Thankyou

PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    I'm sorry to interrupt. My company will not allow personal devices on the bes and since I'm not an admin they said they can't do anything for me on accessing my company email. I use my curve quite a bit taking pics and setting up how to instructions with pics it would be a lot easier if I could access my email. Please point me in the right direction. Thank you

gms4175 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    255C1584
    owa is Outlook Web access, commonly where companies use Exchange mail there is a Web based client accessed from a site such as owa.yourdomainname.com. This can be used to access company mail using BIS which you should have if you are not on BES. It allows up to 10 mail account to be set up.

My company does not promote putting personal devices on its BES, but as i work in the IS department they have allowed me to put mine on and that works fine.

My personal feelings are that as long as employees agree to having security policies applied and having device wiped on leaving the company then the benefits outweight any downside.

I used to use mine on BIS but this never sync'ed calendar OTA which was a REAL pain. There are significant efficiency benefits to be gained allowing people to join their devices to the company BES, although I reognise that in some more regulated environments this may not be possible and may indeed be particularly undesirable or even not legal.

PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    Thank you gms4125 the info you gave me worked out great. I can now view my work email and plan to take over the world lol!! No really thanks.

PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    I ment gms4175 .......so much for taking over the world if I can't get a name right~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

wellsm no está en línea Stack level 2
    What could someone do if they had a blackberry without the password? We have password requirements but not content protection.

The argument has been that if the devices are so secure we shouldn't care if the users take the devices and (for instance) turn them in to a carrier for an upgrade. As far as I know you can't get to the data on the device without the password even without CP (and that CP protects you if someone wants to dismantle the device and read directly from the chips...)

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro
    We do allow personal devices on our BES. However, the user must get their section's VP to approve it and must agree to the company policy on the device usage. The section gets billed for the license they use and the IT support staff will only support the BES side of their device issues. Anything else they have to deal with their service provider with. The IT Policy locks the device down so no unauthorized 3rd party applications cannot be installed.
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!