Hey all, What's your thoughts on having users with personal blackberries (they paid for and ... Server Admins forum

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK

Personal BlackBerries on Corporate BES?

Advertisement

Hey all,

What's your thoughts on having users with personal blackberries (they paid for and pay monthly for) and what restrictions do you set, or don't set?

Or they bought the BlackBerry, but the company pays for the voice/data.

Anyone have this going on? Run into any problems with user complaints?
    it's always greener with the other carrier...

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    Plenty of companies do it. My company purchases and issues BB devices to job families that they deem it necessary for the duties of the job. IT people, external field support, etc.

Other employees have the ability, within reason, to request access to the Corporate BES system. They have to purchase their own device and pay their own voice/data plan.

However, in order to use the Corporate BES, you must agree to accept the IT policy. Which for my company means no personal data usage, BBM, PIN to PIN communications, and a few other fun things.

Because of those restrictions, and the fact that I am one of the "out of pocket" categories, I choose to keep mine off the BES.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

webber no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    My company has just recently started allowing personal BB's on our BES.

We have a few rules in place though.
    1) You must allow us to do a change of responsibility so that we pay and manage the bill. When you decide to leave the company, or get canned, you can request for us to transfer the number back to you.

2) Sign an agreement that while they own the hardware, we own the data and your BB can be wiped at anytime. And if you do part ways it will be wiped.

That's it. We don't have any policies in place, though I am working on that. :>
    -Webber

‹_› ‹(•ż•)› ‹_›

PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by webber View Post
    That's it. We don't have any policies in place, though I am working on that. :>
    So are you running all your blackberries on the default IT policy or none at all?

webber no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by chatster18 View Post
    So are you running all your blackberries on the default IT policy or none at all?
    Everyone, but me, is running on the default policy.

None of the execs/directors want the devices restricted in anyway, including password protection. Though they want CRM, Citrix and other features added. I'm just hoping I can convince them before we finish our CRM migration.
    -Webber

‹_› ‹(•ż•)› ‹_›

PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by webber View Post
    Everyone, but me, is running on the default policy.

None of the execs/directors want the devices restricted in anyway, including password protection. Though they want CRM, Citrix and other features added. I'm just hoping I can convince them before we finish our CRM migration.
    I am running the default policy right now, but I just added lock passwords to the devices, they were irritated, but they will live

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I force all devices through the same policy. If a user has their own device they pay for the serive and the BES licnse. We also do not support their device; they have to call their carrier for anything unrelated to BES.

amazonka no está en línea Stack level 1
    In my environment: IT policy applies to all devices regardless if you are an exec or bought a personal device. "Use of IT resources" policy allows for the situation as you describe, as long as users understand the implications (possible auditing, service provisioning, etc). Access to browser is not restricted and they can add personal accounts along with corporate email. In the event that user is terminated or leaves the organization I send wireless 'wipe & disable' to the device so they cannot walk away with corporate data.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    When a "wipe and disable" is sent----does it restore the phone to new? Do they loose all their contacts? Are they given a warning so they can write it down and save em?
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    A "wipe and disable" wipes the device just like you would if you needed to upgrade the OS or were having problems on a BIS. Disable means you can't use it on the BES anymore.

furtive no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7a47e9f3
    Now, for those who allow people to have people use their own personal devices on the corporate BES, do you do anything about billing the customer for the cost of a seat license on the BES?

rok8man no está en línea Stack level 3
    At my work, we have a mixture of Nextel and Verizon BB's. The Nextel ones are 7100i and the Verizon is the 8703e and the 8800 BB. They will not allow personal BB's as they wont pay for a BB license as we have our own BB server at work that we administer. All the IT personnel have BB and the Executives and then the traders and salesmen have them. They are very strict on who gets one so they have to work in mission critical situations to get a BB from work.

amazonka no está en línea Stack level 1

BBSCAL costs

Quote Originally Posted by furtive View Post
    Now, for those who allow people to have people use their own personal devices on the corporate BES, do you do anything about billing the customer for the cost of a seat license on the BES?
    Hi, we don't charge the users for the end user license cost. The costs are really minor, the last time I bought them, earlier this year, it was around $850CAN for 10 user bundle.
    ~Amazonka~

PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by furtive View Post
    Yes we charge their department, but the user doesn't personally have to pay for it.