We recently consolidated all of our cell phone users from their existing cells and smart ... Server Admins forum

STL8700 no está en línea Stack level 2

Outlook Contacts overwritten by Sprint?

Advertisement

We recently consolidated all of our cell phone users from their existing cells and smart phones to Blackberry. One of my users had a standard flip phone that wanted all of his phone numbers(95) transfered over.

I was told that Sprint could do this for him in a matter of minutes, so I told him to take it to sprint.

The next day he says that Sprint transfered all of his phone numbers for him into his Blackberry, but all of his original contacts were gone.

So my question is... I understand that the contacts on the Blackberry directly reflect what is in the contacts folder in outlook, but what is the interface on sprints end? Why couldn't they add phone number contacts without deleting the existing contacts. Did Sprint overwrite all of his contacts??? If so, without a .pst file is there anyway to get them back (maybe thru exchange)?

PwDiamond no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249df67d
    Hi STL8700,

Though I don't have all the information needed to give a precise answer, I can render a guess... The contacts are probably still there, they're just on the SIM card and not in the devices memory. I'm confused a bit though, so maybe you could clarify:

1.) You say he took it to the store and they said they transferred them... did the user not look at the contacts on the BB before leaving the store?

2.) Is the user still using the same SIM card, or has he/she been switched to a new carrier for use with the company's BlackBerry?

Not sure what kind of device you're talking about, but try taking a freshly wiped device and putting this user's SIM card into it, then going through the setup wizard... See if it asks to copy over the contacts from the SIM card.

Let us know the resolution, if you've found one.

If not, please be sure to reply with:

- The carrier old/new or same
    - The device model
    - Viewing user information in the BES, see if the SIM number is the same as the one you're now trying to use.

P

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Just FYI, PwDiamond has good suggestions, but Sprint is a CDMA carrier and they dont use SIM cards.
    it's always greener with the other carrier...

PIN/ID
    249df67d
    Quote Originally Posted by chatster18 View Post
    Just FYI, PwDiamond has good suggestions, but Sprint is a CDMA carrier and they dont use SIM cards.

Ahh got me there... We don't work with (and honestly as long as I'm CIO never will ) Sprint, so I'm deficient in knowledge of their devices. The 8830 has a SIM card though, doesn't it? That of course doesn't apply to this thread, but curious.

Either way I'd like to know the outcome and cause, given my own experiences with that particular carrier from several years ago.

Thanks for keeping me straight, Chatster

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    No problem PwDiamond, the only reason I know there are no SIMs is cause I have Sprint....and as long as you know who to call they can be worked with, kind of. .

Yes the 8830 has a SIM, and you can put contacts on it, but that would not let them sync with the BES (and that in my opinion would be pointless). That SIM as far as I know is just for the International roaming since its a hybrid device working on CDMA and GSM.

Nice to see when people don't take info personally!
    it's always greener with the other carrier...

PIN/ID
    249df67d
    Quote Originally Posted by chatster18 View Post
    No problem PwDiamond, the only reason I know there are no SIMs is cause I have Sprint....and as long as you know who to call they can be worked with, kind of. .

Yes the 8830 has a SIM, and you can put contacts on it, but that would not let them sync with the BES (and that in my opinion would be pointless). That SIM as far as I know is just for the International roaming since its a hybrid device working on CDMA and GSM.

Nice to see when people don't take info personally!

Haha, well I love learning new things, I wish I had more experience with the CDMA devices.

I find that the general user forums (device forums, etc.) tend to have a little bit more of the tit-for-tat retorts than on the professional side.

STL8700 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Correct, his new phone does not have a SIM card. Which in turn makes me question why/how the phone numbers overwrote the contacts. I have had users successfully add numbers to their contacts with Sprint before, but never seen them overwrite. Which Is why I wondered what Sprint sees on their end, or if anyone here has ever worked for sprint and can confirm if it prompts the Sprint rep to overwrite or just copy.

As of now, I still dont know how to restore a users contacts with Exchange system manager.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Sprint used CellBrite, which means it over-rode any existing contacts that were on the BlackBerry at the time, however, this shouldn't have effected the Outlook contacts unless it was hooked up via DM and told to export to outlook or it went on a BES.

Best way to rectify this:
    1: take the device off the BES
    2: create a new folder in outlook contacts
    3: restore the old pst to that contacts folder
    4: merge the 2ndary folder to the existing (cellbrite) contacts folder
    5: wipe the address book off of the device by connecting it to DM, Backup/restore, advanced
    6: perform another enterprise activation on the device or use DM to sync again.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    And I see that you don't have a backup pst. Sorry. You can go into Outlook, then go to deleted items and see if his contacts are there. If they are, just pull them back into his contact folder.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~