Ok, I messed up. I'm a user on a BES with an 8300 curve. Not ... Server Admins forum

webwbr no está en línea Stack level 1

"...No message service configured..."

Advertisement

Ok, I messed up. I'm a user on a BES with an 8300 curve. Not sure what I did, but I now can only receive e-mail but cannot send, reply.

I serached around the forums here and my best guess is that I installed desktop manager 4.2 on my home pc in order to trnasfer files. (Note - our compnay does not use desktop manager at all on our PCS). When connected I got a promt to move mouse to create new security key. All was still ok, then late yesterday it e-mail function stopped.

I've tried hard resets (twice) and still getting the same results.

I'm about to eat humble pie with my IT department, but I was wondering if I coule Wipe (Options>Security Options>General Settings) the handheld and start over without bothering the IT department.

Is this a bad idea, or should I just take my spanking like a man and never do it again?

Thanks,

Webwbr

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: "...No message service configured..."

Welcome to the Stacks Webwbr.

Simple answer.....it depends.

I did a wipe after a JVM 102 and did not have to contact IT to get the BES up and running again. Others were not as fortunate. I believe it depends on the versions of OS/BES that are being run.

diabloboi87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31cdb8ca

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~well before you do any thing let's verify that your service books are in place.

Under options | advanced options | service books. Do you see a set of them called "desktop"?

If so then try going to options | security options | general then scroll down to where it says "services" once there click your track wheel and select "regenerate encryption key". Please note that this option will only appear when the services section in security options have been highlighted

Best of luck

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I'm not a BES guru, but it sounds like you have redirector enabled. If you're on a BES and your company doesnt use DM, you need to just have DM set up to be BIS only. I used to have this problem before, any time I connected to the DM as well. You may still have to do another enterprise activation, but this is easily fixable. Delete the DM from your PC and then reinstall. When going through the setup, make sure you don't select the BES/redirector, use the BIS option. When done, connect your BB. See what happens. Like I said, you may have to ask your IT for another enterprise activation password, but this should fix the problem. I had the same exact issue, just can't remember if I had to do an EA or not. Good luck!

PIN/ID
    31cdb8ca

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I would like to clarify some thing about dm. The best way to configure it is to tell it your on a bes and that you want to use the enterprise redirector not the desktop one.

The reason for this being is that if you do end up having to wipe your hand held dm will be able to reactivate it with out you having to bother your it department.

Thanks for the response... Yes, under service books there are eight 'Desktop' service books.

I have two items under Services in the Security screen. Line 1 under servies is "Desktoop" with my personal e-mail address (3DES), Line 2 is "Desktop" [########] (3DES), which one do I regenerate encryption key for... or does this highlight the fact I do not have a BES key at all?

Quote Originally Posted by diabloboi87
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~well before you do any thing let's verify that your service books are in place.

Under options | advanced options | service books. Do you see a set of them called "desktop"?

If so then try going to options | security options | general then scroll down to where it says "services" once there click your track wheel and select "regenerate encryption key". Please note that this option will only appear when the services section in security options have been highlighted

Best of luck

PacketRat no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID

Regenerate line 2. That should be your work one.
    -------
    PacketRat
    258CDFE8

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee
    Quote Originally Posted by diabloboi87
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I would like to clarify some thing about dm. The best way to configure it is to tell it your on a bes and that you want to use the enterprise redirector not the desktop one.

The reason for this being is that if you do end up having to wipe your hand held dm will be able to reactivate it with out you having to bother your it department.
    Is this the case with all versions of BES? Reason I say that, is that my DM will not reactivate my BB when in redirector setting when I wipe, or load a new OS.

Thanks everyone... I got impatient for a call back from IT and tried to use enterprise reactivation with the same password I used the first time... the process wiped the device and now when I try to use enterprise reactivation it fails "An error occurred..."

I think my IT department isn't calling me back to I can stew in my own stupidity for a while. I'm guessing they need to do something on the server side to let me back in.

I hope they don't spank me too hard, but i guess I deserve it for playing around.

Thanks again.

PIN/ID
    31cdb8ca

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ dm will only activate your device if it knows that there is a bes server to talk to. The activation pass is only good for one activation so the it department will have to reset it for you.

nrcapes no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E6997B

Re: wiping without IT

I had exactly the same problem. It took IT quite a while to figure it out, but eventually they wiped the hand-held (8100) and restored via wireless synch.

If I were you, I'd get them involved.

I'm back on, nothing that a wipe and restore couldn't fix... thanks all.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Just be sure not to install DM with the BES option at home. It's not really asking you if you're on a BES or not. It's actually asking if your PC has a direct connection to the BES (unlikely on a home PC).

Installing with the BIS/internet option ensures that DM at home won't affect your BES service books.

BrianKe11y no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~