I am looking at a BB8800 that i am sure will sync to MS Outlook ... Server Admins forum

pitch3110 no está en línea Stack level 1

New user...BES help

Advertisement

I am looking at a BB8800 that i am sure will sync to MS Outlook server at work for calendar, contacts etc...
    I will need this also to sync with work email. Is this straight forward to do on these devices.
    I am led to believe that I will need to subcribe to BES. Will this incur monthly charges & will it interfear with works server?

Any help would be greatly appreciated & apologies for sounding a bit bumb.

Many thnaks

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Re: New user...BES help

It all depends on what version you get. You can get BES Express which is free for 1 user. The regular version of BES does incur a fee fro the users connected and the cost of the software. The issues is that you need to get someone from IT to set it up for you. There are things that need to be installed and you need to install it on a server.

If they are not willing to do that and you can get your mail from OWA (Outlook Web Access) then you can use BIS to get it for you. Then you can sync your calender and contacts from your desktop/laptop. Others have talked about using redirector, I have not used it and do not know what it allows.

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro

Well if your company has a BES then you can ask your administrator if you can attach to it. If not, yes you will need to subscribe to a hosted BES service if you want to sync more than your inbox in outlook, and the charges will depend on the BES service you subscribe to. On the blackberry itself it is pretty straightforward adding it to a BES via the Enterprise Activation icon on the menu screen.

For more detailed information about the differences between BES/BIS/Desktop Redirection check this post by jdellasala: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/366889-post2.html
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!

Thank you for your responces.
    BES/BIS look like they are going to be hard work to sort.
    Could I access my emails by logging onto my external web space as do on the pc at home with a BB.
    Would OWA be hard to set up??

Cheers

prickleypete no está en línea Stack level 2

Hello, below are a few questions that you will want to ask/resolve:

1. Does your company have a BES server/platform for access by handhelds to corporate email?
    If so, talk to your IT staff and ensure that your individual phone service and plan the proper account types. Blackberry Enterprise service from your carrier (unlimited).
    If not, then your IT department will have to be engaged to install a BES platform for your work environement. This is a task that only your IT staff will be able to accomplish, for there are many configuration tweaks required for your mail system. Various price plans/packages/models are available on BES configurations for business types.
    If your company/IT department does not want or can not afford to put in a BES platform, you other option is BIS from your handset.

for BIS: You must purchase a Blackberry Internet Service from your carrier (not Enterprise). Your corporate email system must allow outside smtp access to the mail system, if not, your are sol. You will configure from your carrier the BIS settings for login/access to your corporate mail system. Note, that with BIS...ONLY your email will be pushed to your handheld. Contacts, Calendar, etc. are not synchronized wirelessly.

OWA will not work well from the Blackberry Browser. It is almost unusable, but you will get an initial screen. The Microsoft OWA screen presentation is not designed for small footprint browsing.

.......................this could get very long......................... I would suggest to login into www dot blackberry dot com and contact them directly. Give them your details and they can help you through what you need to order and provision. It doesn't cost anything. Once you are ready, the Pinstackers are here to help if you have configuraiton problems or specific issues.

Good luck. "PPete"
    Last edited by prickleypete; 08-01-2007 at 10:25 AM.

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

As far as OWA, you can set up your BIS to retrieve you email from Exchange. I do that currently. The emails are not as quick as BES but, it works.

You logging to your providers BIS site and add the new email account. That is all you have to do to get your emails.

many thanks for your time chaps in replying.
    I have spoken with our IT chap this evening and he will get on the case tomorrow.
    I just want to get one BB up & running to see if it will benefit the business.
    If all goes ok we will issue to site managers.

Cheers once again

Regards
    Paul

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by jrockett
    If not, yes you will need to subscribe to a hosted BES service if you want to sync more than your inbox in outlook, and the charges will depend on the BES service you subscribe to.
    I don't think hosted BES will help the OP with getting email from the work account unless the BES hosting company also hosts his company's Exchange server...

Quote Originally Posted by pitch3110
    many thanks for your time chaps in replying.
    I have spoken with our IT chap this evening and he will get on the case tomorrow.
    I just want to get one BB up & running to see if it will benefit the business.
    If all goes ok we will issue to site managers.
    I'd recommend first determining how your company intends to deploy the BB's. If they're going to use it with BES then testing with BIS won't provide useful/relevant info. If BES is the way they want to go they can get one BB up and running on BES express (with help from IT) for free. Additional licenses must be purchased.

c1chrisc1 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23E6B92F

I say go for BIS. Its really really straight forward like entering your email adderess and password and you got your email synced to your blackberry. Most likely it will work with your work email for email but you might not be able to sync contacts and calender stuff. If your company does have a BES server then go for BES. But if your just looking for something easy and you can use to just read your email then get BIS.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~