Hi All Fairly new to being a BES Admin - we have a telecoms contract ... Server Admins forum

slunge no está en línea Stack level 1

New To this, need help with Backup and upgrade : (

Advertisement

Hi All

Fairly new to being a BES Admin - we have a telecoms contract thats just been cut and now complete management of the BES and devices falls on my shoulders suddenly

Essentially, we have BES 4.1 running with roughly 15 users on it currently (soon to be expanded) - I believe its using MS SQL 2000 in the background although im not sure if its MSDN or full SQL.

details relating to the server here:

Blackberry manager version 4.1.2.25

If need be i can list the component info as well (usb chan, device manager, application loader, rim intel programmer etc).

I know that service pack 6 for bes 4.1 is now relased and figured i should apply this (as far as i know its not been patched since it was installed).

Now i would like to do this, and have the install file on the desktop of the BES (running server 2003) - but would like to backup the BES first as it doesnt appear that any backup shedules are in place for this machine.

I have no idea what im doing with regards to extracting a backup of the server, and settings (eg to get this machine up and running in either a DR situation, or if there was some software/hardware error).

Could anyone start to point me in the right direction - im guessing i need to obtain a backup of the SQL database from the server, but again am unsure where to start really?

Many thanks for any help
    S

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    First off you can indeed go right from 4.1.2.25 right to 4.1.6 (BES 4.1 SP6) without applying patches/service packs in between. You will want to make sure that you have a good backup before you do the upgrade for sure.

Basically restoring a BES is quite simple if the worst were to happen. Since you are new to the BES a complete backup of the server itself as well as a backup on the database should suffice. Make sure you are familiar with the backup/restoration processes before you proceed. You can read more about DR, etc in the below thread. If you have any questions pleast post back.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=10494

Hey thanks for the reply

Ok, to start with I have copied the data from :

c:\program files\ms sql server\mssql\data to another location having stopped the sql services.

Im not 100% sure if this is enough of a backup to restore the server - couldn't get the info from that thread really. Im looking to use either our backupexec 10d or backupexec 11 server to extract the sql database but am having a mission doing that as well (nightmare).

I did start to run the SP6 upgrade last week but realised it envolved upgrading the database and figured it was worth getting my head around these sql backups and restoring the server first.

When you say a complete backup of the server - do you mean a ghost of the server its self or the sql database?

Cheers
    S

PIN/ID
    First of are you using a full version of SQL server or just using the MSDE? If you have SQL then you can backup the DB using Enterprise Manager.

I suggested doing a full backup(don't need image) of the server as it is quite fast to restore worst case scenario for me anyways... If the worst were to happen you just need to install windows, patch, install the binaries and restore the DB.

If you don't want a full backup of the server its not needed but remember that things do go wrong and sometimes you want to retain the phonecall logs, etc. By doing a complete server backup everything is preserved.

Quote Originally Posted by kieranwest View Post
    First of are you using a full version of SQL server or just using the MSDE? If you have SQL then you can backup the DB using Enterprise Manager.

I suggested doing a full backup(don't need image) of the server as it is quite fast to restore worst case scenario for me anyways... If the worst were to happen you just need to install windows, patch, install the binaries and restore the DB.

If you don't want a full backup of the server its not needed but remember that things do go wrong and sometimes you want to retain the phonecall logs, etc. By doing a complete server backup everything is preserved.
    Hey Thanks for bearing with me

Im not sure what you mean by a full backup of the server or by which method you mean, im still struggling with osql command line files to get a full backup of the database at the moment, but am unsure how to do a 'full server backup' that will be reinstatable, just a little confused as to if you mean the sql server or the actualy windows 2k3 server its self.

OK, having managed to get the following working:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools>OSQL -Usa -Ppassword -n -Q "BACKUP DATABASE besmgmt TO DISK = 'c:\sqlbackup.bak'"

Processed 2056 pages for database 'besmgmt', file 'BESMgmt_data' on file 1.
    Processed 1 pages for database 'besmgmt', file 'BESMgmt_log' on file 1.
    BACKUP DATABASE successfully processed 2057 pages in 7.744 seconds (2.175
    MB/sec).

I managed to extract a 16 meg .bak backup of the sql database - not 100% how useful this backup is but im hoping its what im after (obtained the database name using blackberry manager / tools / options - name listed there).

PIN/ID
    By a full backup of a computer I just mean like a NTBackup/Veritas/etc backup of the server. The most important part of the backup is the DB although backup up the BES program directory would be good as well. If you've backed up the DB via osql all the better