I just switched from BIS to BES service through my hosted Exchange provider (4smartphone) and ... Server Admins forum

PDADoc no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2709EE01

New to BES, questions

Advertisement

I just switched from BIS to BES service through my hosted Exchange provider (4smartphone) and I'm up and running, but I have a couple of questions:

1) Will I need to uninstall my current BB Desktop Manager and reinstall it, or is there a special one just for use with BES?

2) I got the BES service so that I can OTA sync my calendar and contacts, and my mail subfolders, which are extremely important to my work. I see the subfolders on my Bold now, but none of my messages from the Exchange server are in them. My subfolders aren't subfolders of my inbox, do they have to be, and how easy is it to change them?

3) Now that I have BES, can I use IMAP for gmail, AIM, and see my subfolders like I can on my Windows Mobile and Symbian devices?

I apologize in advance in case someone is annoyed that I'm asking these questions, but in the time I've researched all these things, I've seen conflicting answers, and I feel it's better to hear from people who've dealt with this before.

Thanks in advance for all the help!
    The PDA Doc!
    BlackBerry Torch 9800

rajafarhan no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20F44149
    You can use the same desktop manager it doesn't matter which one you use. But the latest one is better.

You will see your folders which are related to your BES email but not the emails in those. That's all I got for now. I'm using BES too and I can use all the other messengers and email accounts. Hope that helped
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

PIN/ID
    2709EE01
    Quote Originally Posted by rajafarhan View Post
    You can use the same desktop manager it doesn't matter which one you use. But the latest one is better.

You will see your folders which are related to your BES email but not the emails in those. That's all I got for now. I'm using BES too and I can use all the other messengers and email accounts. Hope that helped
    Thanks for the reply. I've been researching this further while waiting for responses, I saw something in the BlackBerry Knowlesge Base that states that by default mail subfolders are only populated once the redirection has been enabled.

There may be, however (if I read it correctly), there may be a way to populate the mail folders backwards.

I'm still researching this, so I'll post any good info as I find it.

PIN/ID
    20F44149
    Thanks I'll share more info with you on anything I know. Don't worry you will get more responses from here.

PIN/ID
    2709EE01
    Quote Originally Posted by rajafarhan View Post
    Thanks I'll share more info with you on anything I know. Don't worry you will get more responses from here.
    Thanks. I have to say that I'm somewhat disappointed by some of the things I'm finding out I can't do with the BlackBerry Bold.

Coming from Windows Mobile and even Symbian, I had expected to at least be able to access my mail subfolders much easier than it's proving to be; not to mention the serious relative limitations regarding ports of certain software apps to this platform.

Not trying to upset any Blackberry zealots, just pointing out some obvious flaws (as I see them). ;-)

PIN/ID
    20F44149
    You can access your mail from microsoft outlook web access too from the browser. Blackberry has many advantages you will soon come to love your device. Trust me on that

Themetria no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by PDADoc View Post
    I just switched from BIS to BES service through my hosted Exchange provider (4smartphone) and I'm up and running, but I have a couple of questions:

1) Will I need to uninstall my current BB Desktop Manager and reinstall it, or is there a special one just for use with BES?
    There's no need to change Desktop Manager versions but is it highly recommended that you uninstall Desktop Manager and re-install it. During the installation process, ensure you choose BlackBerry Enterprise Server as the install option. Currently, your Desktop Manager is probably installed for BIS use.

3) Now that I have BES, can I use IMAP for gmail, AIM...
    Gmap as IMAP and the use of Instant Messenger programs such as AIM can be used by both BIS and BES users.

Hope this clears a few things up for you.

PIN/ID
    2709EE01
    Yes, I figured that one out and did exactly that, and now it's running fine.

Still frustrated by a couple of things, though: calendar synchronization doesn't seem to synchonize all my entries, just future ones. And I am still trying to figure out the mail subfolder population issue. The folders are there, and I can move new messages, but older messages aren't there at all.

The ability to go back and reference old calendar entries and messages are crucial to my work; I hope I don't have to go back to Windows Mobile, especially after all the money and service changes I've spent trying to get this to work.

I've been all over the Web, but I can't seem to find anything (even on the BB KB) that tells me what the synchronization parameters are (how many calendar entries are actually synchronized, how many messages can be synchronized, etc.). Frustrating to no end. Windows Mobile, in this respect, was so much easier to deal with, even with IMAP mail folders.
    The PDA Doc!
    BlackBerry Torch 9800

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    If I remember correctly you can only access calendar entries from the day of your Enterprise activation on.