I just recently installed the BES express server for free. I followed the install guides ... Server Admins forum

TooHuge no está en línea Stack level 1

Question New To BES - Help Please

Advertisement

I just recently installed the BES express server for free. I followed the install guides and it seems to be up and running just fine. I just have a few questions that I though someone could help me with or point me in the right direction.

1. I cannot send email. I think this is because I am the domain admin. Does anyone know the correct way to set my user up to be able to send email?

2. Is the data encrypted? We are a financial institution and if any data is leaving our network it would have to be encypted so that NO ONE can read it except those intended. I guess any article explaining security would be good.

3. What are the differances in BES and the express server? Besides the obvious price and 15 user limit of the express. Features?

This is all I can think of for now.
    Thanks
    Nick

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: New To BES - Help Please

Welcome to pinstack.com!

What are the differances in BES and the express server? Besides the obvious price and 15 user limit of the express. Features?
    Once you have the answer to this question (quoted above) I'm pretty sure you would have found your way with the rest also.

I strongly suggest registering and watching this webcast:
    http://www.resourcecenter.blackberry...ntSelected=380

Here are some other useful links:
    http://www.vodafone.co.nz/blackberry/bes-express.jsp
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Prog...l?qid=21855958

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Hello and welcome to pinstack. I am not a BES user so cant be too helful here, but if you have any questions please ask.

wizkid1981 no está en línea BES Guru

To answer your questions:

1) You should have a separate account setup to administer the BES. Read the below article to set this up properly.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB04 293&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=1844939&stateId=0% 200%201621833

2) Let me explain BES message flow to you

a) User Creates and sends message from Device
    b) Message is compressed and encrypted
    c) Encrypted message travels over carrier's wireless network, to the BlackBerry Infrastructure
    d) BlackBerry Infrastructure then transmits this to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server that is specified in the service book, via port 3101, over the internet
    e) The Message is then Decrypted and Un-compressed, and handed to Exchange
    f) Message is then sent from the exchange server to the mail server of the intended recipient
    g) Recipient receives this message in his Exchange Inbox
    h) A New Mail Notification is sent via MAPI to the users outlook client
    i) The BlackBerry Enterprise Server retrieves a copy of the message, checks the filters, read flags, in-cradle status etc. compresses and encrypts the message
    j) The BlackBerry Enterprise Server then transmits it to the BlackBerry Infrastructure through port 3101
    k) BlackBerry Infrastructure forwards this message through the wireless network, to the device.
    l) At the device, the message is then Un-encrypted and Un-compressed, making it available to be handled by the user.

3) BES Express and BES have no functionalit differences.

Thanks for all the great info!!

I went to that link and I already have a special account for the bes. I did go through and double check all those settings. Everything was correct except this is the first link that had the info for using a separate sql server. (not msde) After all the changes I still get the same problem when sending a email from my BB. It immediately shows a red X. Doesn't even seem like it took the time to try and send it. Any idea what this could be?

I do see an error message in the application error log.
    {"Email address"} Send() failed: ERR_SUBMIT_MAIL, Tag=1689

Thanks
    Nick
    Last edited by TooHuge; 02-21-2007 at 06:12 PM.

wizkid1981 no está en línea BES Guru

If you open that red X message you are getting what does the message status show?

Also what is the version of store.exe on your Exchange server?
    What is the version of mapi32.dll is on your BES?
    Also check RIM article KB04707 for your issue.
    Have you installed the DST patch on your Exchange?

The red X message shows. "Desktop Email program unable to submit message"
    The store.exe ver says 6.5.7233.69 service pack 1
    Mapi32.dll shows ver 1.0.2536.0
    I am assuming that the DST patch was installed on the exchagne server. We have a WSUS server setup that is doing those installs.

Thanks
    Nick

Crewdawg257 no está en línea BES Pro

This patch will reset SendAs permissions again, just like the previous Exchange services packs and some updates have done. I use the VBScript AddSendAs.vbs from the Microsoft KB 912918. I have attached it to this e-mail and it is on the bottom of the KB. The syntax is simple:

To export users who have Full Mailbox Access without the Send As permission for a domain, enter the following command:
    Code:
    CSCRIPT AddSendAs.vbs [domain controller name] –Export

Edit the file as necessary.

To import an edited Export file, enter the following command:

Code:
    CSCRIPT AddSendAs.vbs [domain controller name] –Import [filename]

In my situation I just needed to apply the Send As permission to all of the results from the export. See below for those instructions. YMMV please read the notes from the KB article:

To grant the Send As permission respectively for each mailbox in the domain for all users who already have the Full Mailbox Access permission for a mailbox:
    Code:
    CSCRIPT AddSendAs.vbs [domain controller name] –SetAll

The patch was run from the BES server (which is a Domain Controller) on a domain admin account. The server has Exchange Management Tools installed. That account is also an Exchange Administrator. YMMV but this is what worked for me.

Rename AddSendAs.txt to AddSendAs.vbs
    --
    I suspect that Microsoft Access is nothing but Microsoft Excel with a VBScript wrapper.
    - Unknown

Thanks sooo much!! I ran the script and it fixed everything for me. I did the export then the import and it got everything working!

Thanks again!
    Nick

Crewdawg257 no está en línea BES Pro

Glad to help!!
    --
    I suspect that Microsoft Access is nothing but Microsoft Excel with a VBScript wrapper.
    - Unknown