I'm doing an install of BES for GroupWise. The GroupWise stuff I get, but doing ... Server Admins forum

tcable no está en línea Stack level 1

Question New Install of BES

Advertisement

I'm doing an install of BES for GroupWise. The GroupWise stuff I get, but doing firewall config for BES is a question. The docs are not the most clear IMHO on what's needed. Outbound is not an issue, but what about inbound ports (if any).

I'm running Inteillsync server elsewhere to support our other mobile devices, but Telecom decided that we are doing Blackberries now. /Sarcasm Glad they consulted with IT. /Sarcasm

Any tips to a BES install are great as well. Just the internet side I think I might need help with. The back end GroupWise connectors are pretty well documented.

Are there real issues in running BES in a DMZ? I know that RIM discourages and does not support it, but that's how our network is provisioned. I can easily connect to the message servers via a second NIC. I'm not the firewall or Swithc admin so I go through another group for that.

TIA

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro

Re: New Install of BES

Welcome to the stacks! I'm going to assume you are installing BES 4.1.2. Here is the installation guide for BES for Novell GroupWise ver 4.1.2

Also once you have it installed run the bbsrptest.exe file in the Utility folder of the BES install. This will make sure you BES is able to talk with RIM. Your output should look like the below image.

Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!

Actually it's 4.1.3. I'm working with the firewall admin to open up 3101 to Blackberry from this server. Is that the only port needed over the internet?

We're using SOAP to the post offices. Works well with the Intellisync server.

The connectivity test is part of the initial install now- Immediately after you install your license I'm guessing that it's a cll home to verify that you're legit.

I have ONE blackberry to play with and it's not mine- my assistant manager's. I have a Windows Mobile Treo, so we'll see how this goes.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by tcable View Post
    I'm running Inteillsync server elsewhere to support our other mobile devices, but Telecom decided that we are doing Blackberries now. /Sarcasm Glad they consulted with IT. /Sarcasm
    BB's are a lot less trouble and you have much better management tools for them. Seriously -- we have two people on our staff that support several hundred devices part time. There's just not that much call for more.

OK I'm installed and connecting to blackberry. I can parse the address book and add users. However I cannot add devices. Assume that all devices are wireless only (not WIFI) through either Sprint or Verizon. I have no connected devices- yet. I have the PIN for the test device but cannot figure out where to put the info in the manager app. There's plenty of talk about using the desktop manager software, but we need to do this 100% wirelessly. I've sen ONE entry for an SMTP server but it does not support port 25 (it wants high ports only- >1024). My internal SMTP is only listening on port 25

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro

Is the blackberry provisioned to work on a BES?
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!