Currently I have BES express running with 15 users. I setup a new server and ... Server Admins forum

STL8700 no está en línea Stack level 2

New BES server

Advertisement

Currently I have BES express running with 15 users. I setup a new server and installed BES and have 50 available licenses. What is the best way to move over the existing 15 users without wiping their handhelds? I tested it on my phone by simply removing myself from the old and activating on the new. I can send and receive emails, but the IT policy wont apply, and my meeting requests, appointments do not sync with Outlook. If I wipe my phone and re-activate it works fine, but I loose my bookmarks and other settings.

Couple stupid/noob questions:

1. The old DB was a local db, the new one I linked to our SQL server. Do I need to import the old .ldf .mdf files to the new DB?

2. Since its a different version of BES and all new CAL's, I use a different SRP correct?

3. Is the IT policy specific to each install, or can I also Import/overwrite the new with the old?
    Last edited by STL8700; 03-19-2008 at 06:07 PM.

PwDiamond no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249df67d
    Hi STL,

Just to make sure I understand you correctly, you were on the legacy product BES express (now Professional Express), and have purchased the upgrade to BES 4.1, allowing you to expand beyond 15 CAL's, and you want to use/migrate your existing DB to a dedicated SQL server instance on another box?

If I'm understanding you correctly, you simply need to run the BB server config panel to change the DB after migration, and you should have been prompted for the SRP when you ran a fresh install. The SRP denotes the maximum allowable CAL's (for instance, if you used your old SRP and tried to add a 16th user through BlackBerry manager, you would get an error stating you'd reached the maximum allowable users.

To really answer you question about the DB's and Policy migration, I need to get a better grasp on your environment soup to nuts...

1.) What version of BES did you start out with? I know you said express, but I'm trying to figure out where you're coming from exactly, as in what platform.

2.) The new server, I expect it's the latest SP - 4.1.4?

3.) What version of SQL server are you running on the new box?

4.) Are all of your BB services collocated on the same machine?

With policy, yes, you can port it over, though it's a bit of a process, and you may find that you'll want to build new policy from scratch, as there have been quite a few additions and advancements on policy in the latest SP's... check out this manual:
    http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliver...ide%5B1%5D.pdf

When we upgraded I wrote all new policy (using the default as the starter of course).

If you do it right your users shouldn't be impacted.

Hope this helps let me/us know how other questions.

Cheers!

BES 4.1.4 is the new install. Brand new box, differen't SRP. The SQL server is remote and i believe 2005...
    Everything is working properly. I can add the 30 new users no problem. The only issue i seem to be having is when I remove a user from the old and add them to the new, there are some quirks that just dont seem right (IT policy, Meetings, Calendar). The phone wont accept the new servers default IT policy unless I wipe it before I add it.

So the BB server config panel allows me to change the DB? Or do I need to import the db on the SQL server. Im not really sure what needs to be done to make this a smooth migration...

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro
    If you use a different SRP you will have to do a wipe of the handhelds so they can obtain the new SRP.
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by jrockett View Post
    If you use a different SRP you will have to do a wipe of the handhelds so they can obtain the new SRP.
    Well that sucks... I have to use the SRP given to me with the install in order to have all of the CAL's correct?

Any tips on recovering bookmarks, after wiping a handheld?

jrockett no está en línea BES Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by STL8700 View Post
    Well that sucks... I have to use the SRP given to me with the install in order to have all of the CAL's correct?

Any tips on recovering bookmarks, after wiping a handheld?
    I'm honestly not sure. I've never upgraded from BES Express to full blown BES. You might be able to apply the CALS to the current one but I'm not sure. Try it, it should just give you a nice error message if it doesn't work.

Before you wipe a handheld you can back it up via desktop manager(DM)
    Data Outages
    Reinstall OS
    Desktop/Device Page

Yes, I'm a BES admin with an iPhone 3G.

Follow me on Twitter!

I'm honestly not sure. I've never upgraded from BES Express to full blown BES. You might be able to apply the CALS to the current one but I'm not sure. Try it, it should just give you a nice error message if it doesn't work.

Thanx for the reply. Apparently you can't backup the bookmarks with DM 4.2. I upgraded to 4.3 and they transfer over.

kerseyr no está en línea Stack level 1
    I would do the following in order:

1. Backup users device using DTM.
    2. Delete user off old BES
    3. Wipe user handset (Options -> Security -> Wipe handset)
    4. Restore users device using DTM
    5. Add user to new BES.
    6. Activate.

PIN/ID
    249df67d

We went from express to regular, and it definitely will not allow you to add CAL's using the original SRP. I had a lot of issues with it, especially with reactiving devices on the new server. I tried working with the existing database at first but talked to RIM and just scratched it and created a new database... the activation issues remained (I could tell if it wasn't going to work when the users pins would immediately populate when I'd go to add them to the new server).

In the end I had to use the mailbox cleanup tool to get rid of the data that was in the user mailboxes themselves tying them to the old BES.

Hopefully you found a solution, would be interested to know the resolution.

Update: The new server is up and running. The transition wasn't as smooth as I would of liked (luckily there were only 15 users). For the 15 original users I had to backup there phone and restore prior to activation. So basically I had to do a wipe on each handheld that was previously attached to the old server.

amazonka no está en línea Stack level 1
    If both servers are attached to the same SQL database then you can move the users between servers and activation is done in the background and it's absolutely transparent to users. Any else becomes painful / manual process. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by amazonka View Post
    If both servers are attached to the same SQL database then you can move the users between servers and activation is done in the background and it's absolutely transparent to users. Any else becomes painful / manual process. Good Luck!

Good to know. In this case, I originally set up the BESx server for myself to play around with, and it snowballed into a company wide thing. So the first server had a local DB instance, the new server was attached to our SQL server.

PIN/ID
    249df67d
    Quote Originally Posted by STL8700 View Post
    Good to know. In this case, I originally set up the BESx server for myself to play around with, and it snowballed into a company wide thing. So the first server had a local DB instance, the new server was attached to our SQL server.
    I learned that lesson the hard way... I locked myself in the server closet every day until the users calmed down