Hi all I'm *trying* to install BES for Lotus. I've downloaded the free edition, which ... Server Admins forum

kentc1978 no está en línea Stack level 1

New to BES for Lotus Domino 6.5.5

Advertisement

Hi all

I'm *trying* to install BES for Lotus. I've downloaded the free edition, which will supposedly give you 10CALs to use (right? No catches?)

Anyway, I have a few questions

1. We can install BES on the current Domino server?
    2. If not, what needs to be done?

The install guides have been kinda confusing to me, so I'm lookin for any help.

Thanks!!!

pinkert11 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: New to BES for Lotus Domino 6.5.5

Hey,

I just did this a week ago at two sites for the first time. I was going for low cost so I picked up a off lease, one year old HP server. Cost 800 CDN and is way above spec. Next added a new server profile on the main domino server, then loaded Domino on to the new server and set up my connection documents. Next step was to install the BES on the new server, took about 10 min. I just left every option at default and installed. Rebooted, loaded the BES manager, added a new user, set activation password and had my email streaming on to the Curve first time.

If you have any questions I will be glad to help, but I am pretty new with the BES as well. I do have 4 years of running and administering iAnywhere (Sybase) server a Treo or win mobile equvilant to a BES.

kiler0n no está en línea Stack level 1

I would recommend not installing it on the same Domino sever. Best to use different hardware as the BES has a lot of server console chatter. If you are trying to troubleshoot a Domino issue this chatter can get in the way. Also helps isolate issues. How many mail users on the mail server? Are you serving apps off this server as well?

kentc1978 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by pinkert11
    Hey,

I just did this a week ago at two sites for the first time. I was going for low cost so I picked up a off lease, one year old HP server. Cost 800 CDN and is way above spec. Next added a new server profile on the main domino server, then loaded Domino on to the new server and set up my connection documents. Next step was to install the BES on the new server, took about 10 min. I just left every option at default and installed. Rebooted, loaded the BES manager, added a new user, set activation password and had my email streaming on to the Curve first time.

If you have any questions I will be glad to help, but I am pretty new with the BES as well. I do have 4 years of running and administering iAnywhere (Sybase) server a Treo or win mobile equvilant to a BES.
    I'm the Domino admin, but quite honestly, I've never installed Domino. What needs to be done to get the two Domino servers talking? Also, what version of BES are you using? I am trying the free version, which is supposed to give you 10 CALs but everywhere I read says it really only works with one phone. Thanks!!!

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

Quote Originally Posted by kiler0n
    I would recommend not installing it on the same Domino sever. Best to use different hardware as the BES has a lot of server console chatter. If you are trying to troubleshoot a Domino issue this chatter can get in the way. Also helps isolate issues.
    I agree, it's better to keep them separated

pinkert11 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by kentc1978 View Post
    I'm the Domino admin, but quite honestly, I've never installed Domino. What needs to be done to get the two Domino servers talking? Also, what version of BES are you using? I am trying the free version, which is supposed to give you 10 CALs but everywhere I read says it really only works with one phone. Thanks!!!
    A normal domino setup will get the boxes talking. On your current Domino box, you need to log in to the admin, and then go to Configuration and Register a new Server. Very similar to registering a new person. Do not put a password on the new server id.

Once that is done, install domino's on the new server. At one point you will be asked if this is a new domino setup, or if it is an additional. Can't recall exact wording, but you will get it. Select additional, and supply the new server id file when asked.

Then you need to setup the connections and configurations documents. This is what allows the two domino boxes to talk to each other.

Once you have the Dom servers talking, install the full notes client, including admin client. Then install the BES server.

I am using the current release, the 10 user client, and it works up to 10 users. I am now passed that, as the test phase is long over, but you can use up to 10 users on 10 BBs.

This is a very quick overview, if you have more ?? please ask. I will respond quicker to help, as I subscribed to the post. Sorry for the late response.
    Last edited by pinkert11; 02-13-2008 at 12:48 AM.