Hello... A fellow in my company asked me how to get his team onto our ... Server Admins forum

ecnavt no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32caaed1

Lightbulb Multiple BES accounts - 1 Handheld

Advertisement

Hello...

A fellow in my company asked me how to get his team onto our BES as well as his client's BES. He had some ideas, but nothing concrete. My gut reaction was - it can't be done. But he pointed to some tidbits here that suggested it -could- work. I had a new puzzle for the day!!

I found the tidbits scattered amongst several threads, but nothing really complete. So here is the start of a definitive guide to setting up a single handheld on multiple BES.

The basics:
    - We'll assume that the first BES account is already established on the device
    - We'll assume that you have ready access to both mail environments
    - The first BES account will be king in regard to the IT Policy on that device
    - You have the BlackBerry Desktop Manager installed
    - After the first BES account, the other BES accounts will be setup using the DM
    - Use the DM to rename the Service Books

The procedure:
    - Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    - Connect the handheld
    - Select Email Settings
    - Select the Advanced Tab
    - Change "Message Service Display Name" from Desktop to something else, ie CompanyX
    - Click OK
    - Disconnect the handheld
    - Close BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    - Create a new Outlook profile for ClientA, prompt for profile should be active
    - Open DM on with the ClientA profile
    - Connect the handheld
    - Synchronize the device
    - Select Email Settings
    - Change "Message Service Display Name" from Desktop to something else, ie ClientA
    - Click OK
    - Disconnect the handheld
    - Close BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    - Enjoy 2 BES accounts on 1 handheld!!!

Will RIM support this configuration? Don't bet on it.
    Are there other risks to be considered? Very likely. Lots of policy questions can come up out of this - password requirements, strength/complexity, split-pipe connections etc.

The firm I work for has a couple of sister companies that have separate BES/mail environments, so this could be interesting for us. I tried it today with one of them and I'll be doing it with 4 more people on Monday. I'll report back on this.

Thanks goes to AKI for a post similar to this a couple of weeks ago and d_fisher from Nov 2006.

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

Re: Multiple BES accounts - 1 Handheld

Wow!

Hats off, and thank you for this useful guide!
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Interesting, would have thought that it would not have worked.

HotWax no está en línea BES Pro

Yes, I see some major compliance issues here. Thanks!!

PIN/ID
    32caaed1

Yes, I was in the camp of "It can't be done." too.

sagle no está en línea Stack level 1
    Does doing this sperate the 2 accounts? (ie.. 2 calendars, 2 inboxes, 2 contact data)

Thanks

kartmanbb no está en línea Stack level 1

Does this still work?

I've got an 8330 that has been working with one BES for a while. I renamed the service books from 'Desktop' to something else within DM. Then, I set up a new profile that points to the exchange account that is on the 2nd BES server.

Restarting DM using the new profile, I sync and the handheld now gets mail from the 2nd account but not from the original. Looking at the service books, it looks like they have all been replaced with whatever the last profile was syned.

I had assumed that I'd see 2 sets of service books with the unique names set under DM.

Am I missing something here? Help please!

The only thing that is 'special' for me is that both mail accounts are on the same exchange server. THe 2 BES servers are just looking at different exchange accounts on the exchange server!

-MJC

singk no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2437547A
    I have done this by accident when we were in the process of migration users from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2007. My mailbox was first to use as Guinea Pig during the migration. After swapped between two mailboxes using DM, I reallized that I have two Service Books on my BB. Even though I have two profile on my BB, I do not know if I not receive emails through both profiles or not because since my Exchange only deliveried actual mail to one mailbox.

PIN/ID
    32caaed1
    Hi kartmanbb

If your two BES are in the same Exchange environment and using the same BES configuration DB then this won't work for you.

Trevor

Quote Originally Posted by ecnavt View Post
    Hi kartmanbb

If your two BES are in the same Exchange environment and using the same BES configuration DB then this won't work for you.

Trevor
    Being a bit of a noob at this, can you give me a bit more detail of how separate things need to be?

I have 1 domain and 1 exchange server, and 1 BES with a local DB (whatever DB BES sets up by default) on one machine.

And... I have another machine running a second BES with it's own local DB (again default DB) but this machine is a member of the same domain.

But, there is the one exchange server and both mail accounts that I'm trying integrate with my Curve are on it. I can promote the 2nd machine to also be a domain controller, create a 2nd exchange server, and move one of the accounts to the new server.

Will this do the trick? This gets me back to my question above... does this create enough separation to allow me to get both accounts integrated on 1 handheld? Or, do I need the second exchange server to be on a different domain too?

Many thanx!
    Last edited by kartmanbb; 11-05-2008 at 12:13 AM.

OK... I created a 2nd Exchange environment and migrated one of my email accounts to it. I've now got the 2 BES setups working with 2 different sets of service books on the handheld.

I seem to be receiving mail on both and I'm able to send. The reconciliation seems to be working (i.e. when I read a mail on the handheld, it changes to read on the Exchnage server).

When I delete mail from the handheld, it doesn't seem to delete from the Exchange server.

Sooooo... close...

<UPDATE> Forgot to set the handheld to delete on handheld + exchange upon delete... Can someone give a summary of what limitations there are with syncing Calendar/Contacts/etc with this dual BES configuration?
    Last edited by kartmanbb; 11-07-2008 at 01:33 PM.