Need some inputs… We currently run BES/SP5 on exchange 03 physical machine we now use ... Server Admins forum

BBP
    BBP no está en línea Stack level 3

Moving BES to VM a machine?

Advertisement

Need some inputs… We currently run BES/SP5 on exchange 03 physical machine we now use ESX (vmware) I’m thinking to move BES to a VM machine that I created due to our growth…etc we I was looking here seems like fourth article meet what I need! Has anyone done this on VM? Anything else I need to look at before moving BES?

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    We are running our BES on a VM, have not had a problem yet. So good luck!

Since you are moving an existing one, I would set the IT policies to default before you move them over. Then once you move them reinstate the IT Policy that you want. That should clear up the IT Policy problem.
    it's always greener with the other carrier...

BBP
    Are you running BES it on 64bit os? set IP polocies on BES to BB to default?

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    No we are 32bit win server 2k3 VM with Windows virtual server. Yes, I *think* you might be able to avoid getting your IT Policies messed up if you have them all set to the "default" as in nothing is disabled. I could be wrong, but its worth a try.
    it's always greener with the other carrier...

JonFuego no está en línea Stack level 2
    Another posibility is to image your existing BES using P2V or PlateSpin and adding it to your ESX box. We did this at my last company and it was fairly transparent to the users. The only issue I had with running it as a VM was the console was a bit slow (but livable)

BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

BBP
    when moving BES handheld need to be activated again?

Quote Originally Posted by BBP View Post
    when moving BES handheld need to be activated again?
    It's been a while but if I remember right, it depends on what you use to image the physical machine. Using P2V/VMWare Converter didn't seem as seamless as PlateSpin but it is free. Also, is your database local or on a seperate SQL box? If it is on a different machine, you should be able to power down the physical machine and start up the VM. You will need to rejoin the VM to the domain and set the IP(s) to match the physical machine.

webber no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    I virtualized our BES back in January. Since our database is on one of our production SQL servers it was only a matter of stopping the old BES server then installing the Blackberry software on the new virtual server. Downtime was only about 45 minutes. I technically could have left the old bes running longer, but since it was technically a downtime weekend I didn't want to risk have the same SRP running on both servers by accident.

The only problem I have had is once the server wouldn't reboot properly and I had to log into the virtual console to power cycle.

And no, since the DB was never deleted no reactivation of the handhelds was needed.

To be safe, backup your DB and on the old BES stop all the Blackberry services and set them to manual restart. Use the BESadmin acocunt.
    -Webber

‹_› ‹(•¿•)› ‹_›

BBP
    How much space/RAM should i give the new BES VM?

Quote Originally Posted by BBP View Post
    How much space/RAM should i give the new BES VM?
    I set ours up with a 40gb drive and 2gb ram and it worked great with about 100 BB users. Most of the work is done by the SQL server anyway.

BBP
    We dont have SQL yet i use what comes in with the BES software package install will 40GB is good for about 30 BBs for now ....

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

You should be fine with 30 users, the database doesn't get too big. Once you start heading towards 50, I would think about migrating it off. You might start to notice a performance lag.