Can anyone confirm or deny whether a company can monitor one's blackberry web usage and/or ... Server Admins forum

liquidsense no está en línea Stack level 2

monitoring bb usage

Advertisement

Can anyone confirm or deny whether a company can monitor one's blackberry web usage and/or usage of programs like JiveTalk or the like? To what extent? Can it read what you are typing?

To be more specific, if the individual with the blackberry has an Enterprise data plan and is hooked up to the company's server (sorry if my terminology is completely incorrect - I'm new to this).

pck20 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    215C77CB

Re: monitoring bb usage

It's my understanding that web usage is not monitored by BES, but it could and more than likely is, by your service provider. Keystrokes are also not per se, except in the form of emails. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.
    Respect Mah Authoritah!

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

yikes! i don't *think* they can read stuff like jivetalk and webmail ... but i could certainly be wrong.

pck20 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    215C77CB

Although I think this is a bit scary for us corperate users:
    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...nications.html
    Respect Mah Authoritah!

oconnke1 no está en línea Stack level 2

The short answer is, "Yes, they can see it." The previous link to the PC World article explains most of it. Your Internet traffic goes through "proxy servers," which capture what sites you access. Then there is "click stream" analysis. This is how Google can change the advertisements dynamically, based on what you type. Whether or not your company is doing it is a different question. ;-)

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    While I'm doubting jivetalk can be monitored ( could be wrong) pin, sms, email, web browsing, MMS, BBM can all be logged by a BES admin. Whether or not they actually look at them is another story. However if you want to be safe, avoid doing anything wrong. It can all be tracked if they want to!

jock no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    250B40B0

I suggest if you want to know exactly what can be monitored via the BES you read through the BES resource kit documentation. A lot of information is logged but takes time to extract and use.

The other thing to bear in mind is that all network traffic from your Blackberry to the rest of the web can be routed through your company external access point from the company BES. As most companies use web and mail monitoring / filtering software such as Surf Control etc this traffic can be monitored down to individual site / data types / access and blocked if need be.

I personally allow most Blackberry users access to external “fun” sites but only between 7pm and 7am

jmgarza no está en línea Stack level 2

Would there be an added cost to do such data analysis?
    J.M.Garza
    8130 - 8310

jock no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    250B40B0

The BES resource kit is a FOC download from RIM so the cost would be in time taken to extract the data you want using the resource tools and them possibly importing the raw data into a spreadsheet to make it usable / readable.

As regards network traffic analysis any commercial tools will incur a cost. Open source tools are available, checkout sourceforge.net but again will need time to setup and get the results you want

It depends how badly you want to find out who is doing what with their BB as to how much time and money you invest.

Have a look at the following thread for some more info...
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...950#post275950

HDRoadKing no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

GazN no está en línea Stack level 2

How many users are you looking at monitoring....?
    You can see web browsing via the Application Event logs on the BES - Event ID 3500 ...
    If you find anything untoward / or you need to find out whos looking at what, you can then search the MDAT log files on the BES and you should be able to locate the PIN number of the device...

Don't guess they can monitor direct WAP as well. Blackberry Proxy Browser of course...