Is there anyway to find out what the original MAC address once was in the ... Server Admins forum
MAC Address issue?
Is there anyway to find out what the original MAC address once was in the event that it was reset by someone?
I bought 2 unlocked 8320 Curves on eBay. They both have identical MAC addresses, so I assume the seller reset them and made a mistake. I am sure they were reconfigured because the white sticker under the battery also shows a different PIN number than what I read in the Desktop manager or options on the phone.
The phones work fine and registered on the T-Mobile network without issue and since I do have a BB data plan all is well. However, the WiFi always gives the error "Failed to associate with the network". Its not a router issue because I also have a BB Bold 9000 for work and have connected this week alone to over 6 WiFi networks in hotels and hospitals while I travel, without any issue. The curve simply will not connect and I believe it may be due to the MAC address issue. The other curve will not connect either, same issue.
I realize this may go unsolved, especially since the only place I know the original MAC address is written, is on the original box, which I don't have.
I really don't care so much about UMA, it's the WiFi I was after. I have tried multiple locations to no avail. I have also switched over from my Apple Extreme N router to my T-Mobile, Hot Spot @ Home Router and the Bold 9000 works fine yet neither 8320 will. I only tried it for consistency, since I already knew not being able to connect to other Open WiFi systems meant the problem is not router related. It has now become a challenge to solve the puzzle. :-) After all, WiFi on an 8320 really isn't much faster than Edge and I do have an unlimited BB plan.
Since my first post I got another BB on eBay. This time an 8820. However, even though it too is unlocked, this phone was originally branded a T-Mobile phone unlike the 8320s which are UNbranded. Everything works, including the UMA.
Also, just to add, both 8320s and the 8820 are using the last known T-Mobile software. I did try a later version sw on one of the 8320s (126.96.36.199) and still no WiFi. I did follow a number of posts to add the 2 T-Mobile certificates, went into the engineering screen and changed the power setting......
I can see the MAC address of the handset and the AP with either router I tried, along with signal strength and SSID. So, I believe the radio is working yet it always fails upon connection.
One thing I have tracked as a difference is in the WiFI HRT.
Both the Bold 9000 on BES and the 8820 on my personal BIS read as follows:
However, on the curve I see:
The order of the addresses is flipped and Registering the HRT does not change or help the situation. Any ideas? Anyone?
Wish I could help you. I'm going to move this to a different forum that perhaps might draw the attention of some people with more experience in these matters.
Sounds like these devices were unlocked using RIM internal tools or similar firmware manipulations, but in a subtly wrong way. You might be able to fix the problem with a recent version of the radio lab tool, but I don't know if you'll be able to find a version that lets you configure the WLAN radio (the only version I've seen let you write only cellular radio values, like IMEI, BSN, and BBPIN).
You could try to use the MFI/MML tool with a different firmware image, and hopefully get the WLAN radio working again.
Thanks Roger for pushing this over to an area of higher visibility.
Thank you Thyth for your input. I have actually sought out a number of your informative posts on the web, which ironically led me, unknowingly right back to you here. :-) Small world.
Since both 8320s have identical MAC addresses I would agree, the re-imaging was botched. I did find a copy of one of the tools but I believe it is the VSM file I need to give it a try. Unfortunately, that I can not find. The eBay dealer had a very large quantity of these models which may have been some sought of surplus purchase. It did arrive in brand new condition but the BBPIN was apparently changed, since it differs from the internal sticker.
I wondered if not being T-Mobile Branded is playing a part as well. However, after additional info I dug up on the web about others who got even the UMA option working on non-branded phones leads me to believe it is strictly a WLAN issue.
It's sought of a technical challenge at this point.
Thank you both for getting back to me.
VSM file only controls branding. It has vendor ID and a handful of images for the boot sequence. Just about any VSM file you choose should work. Choosing a VSM with a vendor ID of -1 is the only case where you'll have significantly different post-boot behavior (as this disables an internal device flag called "device security", which is checked in a bunch of places, including the engineering screen "atrium"). The only way I know of to change BBPIN is with the Radiolab tool, and at least the version I have doesn't allow control of the WLAN MAC; I'm not aware of the MFI tool being capable of that. There could be third party tools that have reverse engineered the low level device management protocol that the MFI, radiolab, and desktop manager tools used that led to this strange WLAN behavior. I just haven't really kept track of the BlackBerry hacking news since my altercation with Research in Motion.
I would recommend trying to follow the debranding procedure in the MFI tool, and carefully choose which master firmware image is being loaded as part of the process. It's as low of a reset as you can really go, and it's all I can really recommend without understanding more about what happened when unlocking these devices.
UMA on unlocked devices is really just a matter of having the UMA settings provisioned properly. This is definitely different.