Hi Guys The admin that was here before me set up the BES server, and ... Server Admins forum

gmagerr no está en línea Stack level 1

Log File Size

Advertisement

Hi Guys

The admin that was here before me set up the BES server, and I noticed the server drive is getting full. I did some digging and found that the Log directory is almost 8 Gigs. Is there a way to archive these files? Is this normal sizewise? and can I redirect the logs to be saved on a share on one of our netapp filers? We're using BES 4.0.6 for Lotus

Thanks.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: Log File Size

Hi there gmagerr, welcome to pinstack. A BES expert will be along shortly to answer your question.

mcashman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32ae5c7c

Is there a reason that you want to keep all your logs? I have mine set to only keep 90 days and delete anything older. Generally if there is an issue this will give us enough of an archive that if we need to look back we can. This setting is the BlackBerry Server Configuration on the BES under Logging. You can change the max log age rule individually for all logs.

lifeline no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by mcashman
    Is there a reason that you want to keep all your logs? I have mine set to only keep 90 days and delete anything older. Generally if there is an issue this will give us enough of an archive that if we need to look back we can. This setting is the BlackBerry Server Configuration on the BES under Logging. You can change the max log age rule individually for all logs.
    mcahsman,

Now that I have a huge logfile how can i safely delete it from the server and keep only logfiles for 90days.
    Is there a MOP that I can follow
    Please help

lifeline

PIN/ID
    32ae5c7c

It's all personal preference. If you feel better keeping them for a longer time than 90 days, you can do so. When I realized I had logs from a year ago, I went into the logs folder and deleted all of them except for the past 90 days. I then opened the BlackBerry management console on the server and went to the logging tab. I made sure that it was set to delete each log after 90 days.

lifeline no está en línea Stack level 1

Is it the "debug log max daily fle age " option???

PIN/ID
    32ae5c7c

That's it.

bbhealth no está en línea Stack level 1

I have to keep my logs for 1 year for federal compliance. I have made a log storage directory and I compress the contents through advanced options on the folder. The log files compress to about 10% of the original size. This should save you tons of disk space.