Here's a situation for you all. Let's say a BB is on our BES, a ... Server Admins forum

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

lock or kill a BB or both

Advertisement

Here's a situation for you all. Let's say a BB is on our BES, a user loses this phone. I set a password and lock the phone putting the user info on the screen with a phone number if found. In the mean time I order another phone. When it gets to our office, is it best to send a kill to the lost phone or just leave it locked and activate the new one?

DoubleA7 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: lock or kill a BB or both

Depends on your carrier. if it's cingular (since I work for them) then once you activate the new phone, the old blackberry will be useless since the sim card would be changed. if it already has a lock on it that's even better since neither the carrier or RIM can get that password and unlock the actual device.

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

Activate the new phone leaving the existing phone untouched. This way the user can still see all their application settings on the old phone and can manually transfer them to the new one. Also if the data load doesn't go well, there is a backup.

I just went through this and although we had a backup of the old device we went and wiped it anyway thinking we could just reload it through the DM. Lotus NOtes lost 250 contacts out of 1050 and due to policies I can't do a selective restore through the DM. In addition to the backup I also synced all my contacts at home (whew!), so now I need to push a blank policy to the Blackberry so I can force a wired Outlook --> Blackberry upload, then take the Blackberry back to the office and try to fix Notes (Is it possible to fix NOtes...)

PIN/ID
    312C4157

Hmm, that's kinda what I thought. It's a Sprint BB. I didn't Kill the phone, I left it locked and just activated the new phone. When killing a phone does it just wipe personal settings and emails?

Crewdawg257 no está en línea BES Pro

If it is locked the phone will still have all of the data on it. Anyone that attempts the password more than 10 times will cause it to wipe the handheld.

If you wipe (or by password attempts it is wiped) than all settings and e-mails are removed.
    --
    I suspect that Microsoft Access is nothing but Microsoft Excel with a VBScript wrapper.
    - Unknown

onepeon no está en línea Stack level 1

Do you know if the Kill command will also remove all documents that may have been saved on the phone? Is it like a GoodLink kill command where the entire device does a hard reset?

We're thinking about moving over from Palms.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

If you send the Wipe and lock command, then yes, it will. It will wipe it back down to factory specs.

shorty98 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleA7 View Post
    Depends on your carrier. if it's cingular (since I work for them) then once you activate the new phone, the old blackberry will be useless since the sim card would be changed. if it already has a lock on it that's even better since neither the carrier or RIM can get that password and unlock the actual device.
    Since you worked for cingular maybe you can answer my question. My blackberry pearl was stolen and I have read that if the password is entered incorrectly 10 times then my phone will be reset. Ok does this mean that my phone then can be used by the thief. All they have to do is put their own password in to begin to use my blackberry. I had my sim card locked by the provider already but I had my own password to lock my phone. If so that sucks.

PIN/ID
    312C4157

Yes, the password can be reset by entering 10 times wrong. You must get your provider to lock the pin or suspend the account until you get back on your feet or someone could wipe and use the phone on your account.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

webber no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

If the password is entered 10 times wrong, the BB will do a factory wipe. All personal settings, address book, bookmarks etc are gone. BUT added applications are still there, though all your personal data is gone.

Since the SIM is locked, the thief would need to put a new sim and new service on the BB.

Basicly, he/she/it ends up with a brick if you went and canceled phone service.
    -Webber

‹_› ‹(•ż•)› ‹_›

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

I always prefer to send the Erase and Disable Handheld command to a lost device