Hi All! I am helping a friend with a site for a conference. We used ... Server Admins forum

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68

.jad will not download to device

Advertisement

Hi All!

I am helping a friend with a site for a conference. We used BBLauncher.com to create a .jad file as a BBBrowser launcher for the mobile site. Problem is when I upload the file to my Google Sites site and click on the link from my BlackBerry it doesn't actually launch. Instead it opens it as a txt file site so I can see all the coding from the .jad file.

My understanding of the problem is the "Mime type" allowed by my "host". I've gone through and followed the FAQ from BBLaucher.com site:

Why is my browser launcher not installing when I view the JAD file in my BlackBerry browser?

If you are trying trying to install your browser launcher over to air (OTA) and your BlackBerry browser is just showing you text instead of prompting you to download the application it is most likely because your web browser does not understand the JAD and COD file mime types. A mime type is just a piece of information that tells the web server how to handle and deliver certain types of files to you. If you have administrator access to your web server you can always add the JAD and COD file mime types to your web server's configuration files. But since most people do not have administrator access to their web hosting server a much easier solution for people using the Apache web server is to create a file named ".htaccess" and place it in the same folder as their JAD and COD files. In the .htaccess file you should place the following two lines of text:

AddType text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor .jad
    AddType application/vnd.rim.cod .cod

After the .htaccess file is created and in the proper folder with your JAD and COD files you will be able to download and install your BlackBerry browser launcher. Be aware your BlackBerry browser may cache the JAD file from an earlier failed installation attempt so be sure to select "Refresh" from the BlackBerry browser menu to force the browser to reconnect to your web site and fully reload the JAD file in order to start the installation process.

Can anyone help me get this darned thing working? I have .jad file and .cod file.

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    Maybe its because Google site dont allow jad or cod files, its like when you open and unknown file on your PC and you can always open it in notepad and your actually opening the code mumbo jumbo.. Did you try a different hosting service?

and you did put the .htaccess file in there and refreash on your BB
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68
    Actually, I'm sure you're right. From what I've read it's that the Mime Type isn't recognized by the host. I have tried another site, but apparently they don't recognize it either.

Recommendations on a free host that does?

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    I dont personally, but i know people on here are able to and should be able to help you find a place, if they themselves dont do for you. We just gotta find them lol
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>