The company I work for allows personal Blackberry's on the corporate server for use with ... Server Admins forum

cv
    cv no está en línea Stack level 2

IT Security Policy Ruining my Day

Advertisement

The company I work for allows personal Blackberry's on the corporate server for use with company email if you purchase an enterprise license. (Mostly because they are too cheap to purchase one for us)I can't work without a Blackberry so I made the investment. They just pushed out a change in IT security policy that does not allow me to add third party applications to my Blackberry.(I have a 8700c) I found this out when I went to download Google Maps and the browser wouldn't allow it.Does anyone know a work around or is there a way to get the security policy off my handheld? Thanks in advance.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: IT Security Policy Ruining my Day

The only workaround is to have the BB Admin send you an new, clean IT Policy, just before removing you from the BES. Anything else you try will only leave you open to disciplinary action for violation of company policy. This is the negative of adding a personal BB to a company BES. Admins are normally very protective, as they should be, of anything that connects to their network.

hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

cv

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    That's what I was afraid of. Thanks.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

You could try installing google maps from your computer. It uses active X, so you've got to use IE, and have your BB plugged in to USB when you do it. Same URL as going ota.

cv

I will give it a try. Thanks.

eislandish no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    40127E96

Another suggestion... in case anyone is still reading this post.
    Our admin decided it was necessary to enforce "no ota" installs of 3rd party software as well. Even though there is a debate to be had over how vulnerable we really are, but they are Windows Mobile fanactics and it took us 2 years to get a BES in so.... nevermind.
    Anyway - the admin is able to put in exceptions (how this exactly works I don't know). But we have been able to ensure our users are able to get spell checking, google maps, BB light, BB Today, Berry 411 and some others. Maybe contact the admin and ask if they have an exceptions list or way to request something be made available. This was critical for us since we don't allow desktop connections.

naviwilliams no está en línea Stack level 4

This is a real shame! If I paid for a license should I not be able to use my device they way I want?

Now, on the flip side (I work in IT, and on our BES), the licenses are not cheap, and normally you have to buy them in groups (well we seem to have too), so I sort of understand why they want you to pay for your own license, especially if the device is a personal device, and not provided by the company...

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

I think that this at that fine line: if you pay for the device yourself for use with work, and you don't want to be restricted by any IT policies (or you have a friend who is the BES admin), then it's likely best to just use BIS.

My first device my company paid for, but my second, I paid for. No hassle no bother. And when I wanted a new app (BerryBlocker), I started a ticket, and within a week, I had it resolved to my liking.

But it's not always that easy....

cv

I understand IT Policy and the importance of IT security. I work for an unamed carrier who just doesnt get that IT Security is supposed to be a business enabler not an inhibator. I am willing to put up my own money to be more effective. I have already thought of having a list of approved apps and now that I know it will work I will suggest it.

aflansburg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2469F3D5

tburke no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

I know that most IT departments (including some fortune 500, and governments) allow 3rd party software on personal devices. I understand that they need security, so passwords and other security stuff is fine with IT policy on personal devices that are recieving sensitive info. But if it's personal, you really should be able to use 3rd party apps. BIS seems like a step backward, security wise, from BES.

inertiatic no está en línea Stack level 2

I'm administer our BES of 144 Blackberry's, soon to be 170+. I do have 3rd party downloads disabled but am occassionally asked for permission to download something specific and will temporarily place the user on a default policy to allow this.

Try asking the BES Admin if they can do that for you. They can also tweak the policy to restrict certain downloads like someone else said.

fritter no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

funny thing is with the it policy disable or not the BES records everything that the user does on there devices so it really doesnt matter other than to help conserve memory and not having to trouble shoot the device when it messes up after installing a 3rd party app.